Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

After upgrading my Kubuntu to 19.10 syncing never stops

New member | Level 2

hi,

after my last upgrade on Kubuntu, dropbox seems to have been stuck on forever in "sync" mode. the taskbar icon just spins, the dropdown menu doesn't show any other information, recently changed files doesn't show any information..  and the thing actually works, if I put a new file to my  ~/Dropbox folder, it instantly transfers to my other machines.. and otherway around too..

is there a way to see (log files, something?) what is it that it's actually stuck on?

I've tried already reinstalling dropbox. 

thanks,

.b

10 Replies

Re: After upgrading my Kubuntu to 19.10 syncing never stops

Dropboxer

Hey @basse_, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

As a first step, could you please confirm if your device meets the requirements here to run the desktop app?

If it does, could you please send me two screenshots (without any personal info): one of what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon and another one of the syncing icons on your files?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I have exactly the same problem, Kubuntu 19.10. The blue sync icon is constantly appearing and disappearing in the task bar, despite actually not doing anything. Clicking on it, it just says "Syncing...". 

Dropboxer

Hi @Luhuhis, thanks for checking in with us. 

To ensure that we cover most initial ground, could you also confirm that your device meets the minimum requirements to run the desktop app?

If it does, could it be that there’s a third party app, such as a security app, that’s hindering the syncing process?

In this case, you could try temporarily disabling your antivirus and configuring your firewall to work with Dropbox to see if this triggers a change in behavior. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hey @Lusil,

my brand new 2019 Thinkpad meets the minimum requirements, however, as I am running Kubuntu 19.10, my desktop environment is the popular KDE Plasma. I have no security apps installed.

Edit: Actually, I just found the solution. Starting dropbox in the terminal via "dropbox start" gave me this message:

Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

After following the instructions, dropbox works perfectly again!

Edit 2: For the fellow Kubuntu and especially Dolphin users, I suggest that you install "dolphin-plugins" in order to enable Dropbox's check marks and uploading/downloading signs for Dolphin under Configure Dolphin... > Services > Dropbox. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you, @Luhuhis! Awesome work. 

If you have any other questions or feedback for us, just give us a shout. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahaead! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @Lusil,

I want to mention here something related to @Luhuhis findings above. Could be seen an example of very bad programing practices, AGAIN! dizzy face Why such a message isn't on popup message or notifier, when such is available? thinking face Already discovered problem remain hidden for the end user (and support also - zipper-mouth face i.e. You)! There are many ways notification to be carried to the user, but if your development can't find out something, an idea could be get from my code (related to other workaround - shell commands) where 3 notification types are used (plain text - if nothing else is available): "notify-send", "zenity" and plain text. The code could be seen here, with attention between lines 142 to 160.

@Lusil, forward this to Dropbox development team and let's hope they will learn something new (so simple). winking face

New member | Level 2

interesting. however, when I start my dropbox, I don't get such message. but I tried the fix anyways, didn't seem to help here :( 

New member | Level 2

here is the screenshot. "Recently changed" doesn't open.. and the Dropbox icon keeps spinning (you see the little emblem over the icon) command "dropbox status" says "syncing" .. 

my system definetely meets requirements. I don't have antivirus or anything strange installed that could cause this. as I said, it's been working fine years, this happens only after I upgraded to 19.10 Kubuntu.

.bdropbox3.pngdropbox3.png

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @Lusil,

Can you attach the @basse_'s comments & picture just above to my Ticket #9534992 as a confirment that this isn't new feature request (as some people from Dropbox support team has stated)?

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

After upgrading my Kubuntu to 19.10 syncing never stops
10 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post