After waiting 8 days for an answer from the support team, I finally got this:
Thanks for writing in. We’ve identified an issue where files or folders containing certain Greek letters will not display in the Android app.
Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working on a fix for it. As a workaround in the meantime, you can rename your files so that they are visible in the Android app. Additionally, you can view these files are on your desktop, iOS device, or on the Dropbox website.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused, but we hope this information helps.
Unfortunately this error exists at least 3 years now and noone has fixed it, so I'm not so optimistic it will be fixed in the next few days. Seems the only way is switching to another service that has a fully working android app as my team really needs to be able to use their phone to access the files.
Thank you Sanchez for all the help and yes, seems the error is when letter Σ is the last letter of a word in a folder. Could be others also, but this one is for sure.
And also here is the official 2nd reply from the support team of dropbox:
I checked with the engineering team looking into this issue. At this time, we are not actively working on a solution for this problem.
A resolution for this issue may come at a later date, but I don’t have a timeline right now.
In other words, we dont give a **bleep** about all you paying customers and your 3-year-old errors you face.
Time for another service that respects their customers.
Wow, I've been trying for weeks to understand why only certain folders were missing. Admitedly my imagination did not go this far.
In any case what I wanted to share, since I see the lack of any real interest from the developers as seen in the above responses, is that f.y.i the greek words ending in Σ are probably around the ammount of 30% of ALL greek words (f.e. 90% of all greek male names end in Σ).
Just so that you know how outrageous your "we are not actively working on a solution, just rename them" answer really is.
So that's all, i'm off now, on to rename one third of all our company's data..
So I was ready to pay for a dropbox plan, and move my ever growing work archive from another cloud service to this one because I need a serious solution and I'm convinced of the benefits of dropbox.
And then I find out (through a close friend and business partner who is already a paying customer of yours) that a problem such as this exists!!
And that it took them ages to find out what the problem is and fix it by renaming all their folders that had Σ at the end!!
And what's most outrageous is that I find this thread and find out that the solution you suggest, is not one by your devs actually solving the error, but renaming the files!!!!!!
Very sorry but this is NOT the stance of a serious company one would expect. My archive is organized by files with client names which, being Greek, mostly end in Σ and renaming is not an option. And yes, I need to access my archive on the go through my phone because I'm not in front of a pc all the time.
So until you decide to adapt a more serious attitude towards paying customers I'm keeping my files (and money) elsewhere.
Again, same (copy/paste):
Check something in your phone settings.
PS: Could be noticed some latency! Both when such a directory is created and after removal. That's really strange - need some explicit refresh.
Yes, of course. The above is just cut, restricted to just created directory view. I have no idea where this comes from, but Yes when I use name with Latin or Cyrillic alphabet everything just brings up immediately (almost), but with full sigma name seems additional "force" is need (especialy while remove).
Let's hope from Dropbox will take care.
If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.
For more info on available support options, see this article.
If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!