Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: Android app does not show folders which contain greek letters.

Helpful | Level 6

After waiting 8 days for an answer from the support team, I finally got this:

Hi Christos,

Thanks for writing in. We’ve identified an issue where files or folders containing certain Greek letters will not display in the Android app.

Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working on a fix for it. As a workaround in the meantime, you can rename your files so that they are visible in the Android app. Additionally, you can view these files are on your desktop, iOS device, or on the Dropbox website.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, but we hope this information helps.

Regards,
Kevin

Unfortunately this error exists at least 3 years now and noone has fixed it, so I'm not so optimistic it will be fixed in the next few days. Seems the only way is switching to another service that has a fully working android app as my team really needs to be able to use their phone to access the files.

Thank you 

Helpful | Level 6

And also here is the official 2nd reply from the support team of dropbox:

Hi Christos,

I checked with the engineering team looking into this issue. At this time, we are not actively working on a solution for this problem.

A resolution for this issue may come at a later date, but I don’t have a timeline right now.

Regards,
Kevin

In other words, we dont give a **bleep** about all you paying customers and your 3-year-old errors you face.

Time for another service that respects their customers.

Explorer | Level 4

Wow, I've been trying for weeks to understand why only certain folders were missing. Admitedly my imagination did not go this far.

In any case what I wanted to share, since I see the lack of any real interest from the developers as seen in the above responses, is that f.y.i the greek words ending in Σ are probably around the ammount of 30% of ALL greek words (f.e. 90% of all greek male names end in Σ). 

Just so that you know how outrageous your "we are not actively working on a solution, just rename them" answer really is.

So that's all, i'm off now, on to rename one third of all our company's data..

Explorer | Level 4

So I was ready to pay for a dropbox plan, and move my ever growing work archive from another cloud service to this one because I need a serious solution and I'm convinced  of the benefits of dropbox.
And then I find out (through a close friend and business partner who is already a paying customer of yours) that a problem such as this exists!!
And that it took them ages to find out what the problem is and fix it by renaming all their folders that had Σ at the end!!
And what's most outrageous is that I find this thread and find out that the solution you suggest, is not one by your devs actually solving the error, but renaming the files!!!!!!

Very sorry but this is NOT the stance of a serious company one would expect. My archive is organized by files with client names which, being Greek, mostly end in Σ and renaming is not an option. And yes, I need to access my archive on the go through my phone because I'm not in front of a pc all the time.
So until you decide to adapt a more serious attitude towards paying customers I'm keeping my files (and money) elsewhere.

Greek folders ending in Σ not showing on dropbox android app

Helpful | Level 5
I start a new thread to underline dropbox team that there is a huge community in Greece that uses their app and gets frustrated for this on going 3 year issue!
The problem is simple as that: I have hundreds of folders ending in greek character "Σ" which are not shown in the mobile Dropbox app! Renaming all my folders is not an acceptable solution! Dropbox team urgently find a solution!

Re: Greek folders ending in Σ not showing on dropbox android app

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @good2gr8,

I just checked a test example:изображение.png... and there are no any problems!? thinking face

Helpful | Level 5
Hi @Здравко,
Don't use any Latin letters in the folder name.. e.g. try folder name "ΣΣΣΣΣΣ"

Again, same (copy/paste):изображение.png

Check something in your phone settings.

PS: Could be noticed some latency! Both when such a directory is created and after removal. That's really strange - need some explicit refresh.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Are you using the official dropbox app for android???
Folders are normally shown through browser (chrome etc). It has nothing to do with phone settings or latency...

Yes, of course. The above is just cut, restricted to just created directory view. I have no idea where this comes from, but Yes when I use name with Latin or Cyrillic alphabet everything just brings up immediately (almost), but with full sigma name seems additional "force" is need (especialy while remove). thinking face

Let's hope from Dropbox will take care.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Android app does not show folders which contain greek letters.
20 Replies
22 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey