Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Android folder offline for large files

Helpful | Level 5

I have a number of folders each containing a number of large video files. When i set the folders to available off line the Android app goes through the motions of making them available but they only exist as file names with no data in the file. If I go into the folder and individually mark each file as available off line the app works its way one by one through all the files correctly. Small files have no problem, if there is a mix of small and large the small ones work correctly the large fail. A large file is over 2.0GB. Is this a limitation of the software or am I missing something?

2 Replies

Re: Android folder offline for large files

Dropboxer
Hey @JOHN1953, could you please clarify if you’re trying to make a folder offline, containing these files? Also, what file type are they? Are you trying to preview them through Wi-Fi or data? 

Any additional info, as well as screenshots (omitting personal info) illustrating this behavior would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Android folder offline for large files

Helpful | Level 5

I found the problem, when making files a large number of large files available offline as one action your system treats the action as one event therefore it takes a very long time to complete the event and if there is a "transient failure"  in the WiFIi connection the whole event is stopped. 

I have found a work arround, mark the files to be made available offline singly and limiting the event to 2 or 3 files. All the band width is used to download the 1st file before starting the 2nd file, therefore the action work more reliable.

This only applied to the Android App not the PC version.

Hope this is useful information.

JOHN

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Android folder offline for large files
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post