Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Android shortcut names revert to "Dropbox"

Explorer | Level 3

Does anyone know why when I place Dropbox shortcut "widgets", after a certain amount of time the names all change to "Dropbox"? When they are placed they reflect the folder name of their Target but eventually I have a group of "Dropbox" shortcuts on my home screen that I can't distinguish from one another.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hts6pp46e3s5sdc/Screenshot_20190711-194447.png?dl=0

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Android shortcut names revert to "Dropbox"

Explorer | Level 3
And the mobile label wasn't an option when I posted that... Feel free to move to mobile (I can't see a way to delete or move it myself).

Dropboxer

Hey there @jesta192 - sorry to hear about this.

I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior on my Android device on our latest stable version of the mobile app (150.2.4) - are you using this one too? 

Have you also made that your mobile's OS is up to date? 

In addition, do you notice this if you create shortcuts to your Dropbox folders on separate widgets on your mobile's home screen?

Any additional information will be much appreciated.

PS: I'm not sure about this but do you happen to be renaming your folders or moving them around after having created you shortcuts? 

EDIT: I added the 'Mobile' label to your post on your behalf - no worries!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for responding, Walter! The labels don't change immediately, seemingly random; I think once when I tried this it lasted for at least 24 hours before reverting.

I'm on Oreo 8.0 (the latest that Motorola and Verizon care to provide unfortunately). I'm using the Dropbox app v151.1.2; I am on the Beta track (but I have been for a couple years and this behavior has existed for as long as I can remember).

I have not tried separate shortcut widgets (outside of a "folder") but I will do that today.

These folders in my Dropbox have been named the same for several years; we haven't renamed any of them.

I'm starting to think this has something to do with the Motorola Launcher getting pushed out of memory. I recreated my shortcuts yesterday and by last night they had changed names; I also noticed that my Live Wallpaper had reverted to the default static wallpaper, so that tells me the Launcher crashed or was pushed out of memory at some point. I can't be sure the two are related but it might be a lead?

I saw this behavior with *one* other app a few months ago but it happened literally *one* time, and hasn't reoccurred (I think it may have been the Google Drive app; I have had shortcuts for folders in that app in a folder just like the Dropbox shortcut scenario for months and they are currently still showing the proper names--it's only the Dropbox shortcuts that have changed since that one occurence). 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information and please let me know when you get the chance to test things out @jesta192 !

On a side note, could you maybe try our most recent stable version of the mobile app and see if you get the same results?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Android shortcut names revert to "Dropbox"
4 Replies
0 Likes