Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Any plans to address the 300k files issue now that the basic plan has 2TB?

Explorer | Level 4

Hey there, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I wanted to know if dropbox has any intent or plans to resolve the 300.000 files issue now that the basic plan has upgraded to 2TB.

I have way over 300k files and it is now a constant to let the PC online for days to sync it all after a reboot, or to go on a jouney of counting files in folders via terminal and zipping the big ones to reduce the number of files, but this is far more advanced than (I assume) most Dropbox users would reach out to do, or further, should ever need to worry about doing.

But with the 2TB plan, more files will come and many people will now be having this issue. Is there anything on the roadmap?
Thanks in advance

5 Replies

Re: Any plans to address the 300k files issue now that the basic plan has 2TB?

Dropboxer

Hey there @vitcunha - welcome to our Community!

I understand your concern about your account's file storage limit; especially now that our Plus plan comes with 2 TB (instead of the 1 TB that was previously offered).

Bear in mind that along with this change our Plus users also got access to our Smart Sync feature which helps our users seamlessly access all the content they have in their Dropbox, right from their desktops, without worrying about local hard drive space. Files and folders take up practically no space on the local device until they’re needed, and they can be accessed with a simple click.

Other than that (and zipping your large files as you mentioned - great job there btw), you can also speed up your Dropbox by using selective sync which allows you to control which files and folders are being synced with your computer(s). 

In addition, kindly note that if your Dropbox account contains a large amount of files, the performance of our desktop client can indeed start to decline after reaching about 300,000 files on some devices but this is merely a soft limit and highly dependent on your computers' specs. Some customers can sync way more files without issue.

If you're experiencing a slow start-up of the desktop app due to it's need to re-index your fies' database (upon reboot), I'd suggest lowering the number of files that need to be synced by utilizing our selective sync settings. 

Let me know how this suggestion works out for you and we'll pick it up from there. Thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Walter,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently using smart sync now that my plan got updated and I thought it would solve it, but it seems it doesn't speed up the comparison, checking and starting processes. In fact, I feel like it even slows it down because I have now more folders than I used to (I had to use selective sync before, now I sync them online-only via smart sync). So... if I have to use selective sync even though I have smart sync, that is kind of pointless, because the whole point is to be able to see the files without having them in the machine. But ticking them out via selective sync is the same as throwing away smart sync. Of course there is the disk space benefit, but the speed aspect is harmed. It had to be as fast as if I didn't have the folders synced.
A question comes to mind: About the 300k files issue, it only counts the selective-synced folders? In other words, if I have 500k files in my account and only selective-sync 50k, will my dropbox client be as fast as a dropbox account with only 50k files?

But! That is not my initial question. The questions remains. Is there a plan on the roadmap to fix the file number issue or that is currently not on the to-do list?

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response @vitcunha - most appreciated.

To re-iterate my previous response, the 300,000 files is a soft limit meaning that it depends on the specific devices you're using. Personally, I've seen several cases of users syncing more than 300k files with no problems at all. 

In addition, the file count would not drop by using Smart Sync as with this feature your files are replaced by placeholder files (merely with metadata of the files -these take up minuscule space) so our desktop application would still need to re-index all of your files upon rebooting.

The best way to tackle this is using Selective sync to lessen the app's total file count so it can boot faster.

If you follow my suggestions and still have an issue with this please let me know and I'll send you a ticket to your Dropbox associated email address to work on it together. 

Thanks again!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

This doesn't answer the OP's question at all. We get all that, the issue is with Dropbox's desktop application and its (soft or otherwise) artificial limit on numbers of files. If people have over 1TB of data, they'd be quite likely to have >300K files, surely? Surely the whole point of Smart Sync is to simplify things. So, what is Dropbox doing to improve this overall situation (rather than improve its advice on how to work around it)?

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter, but that didn't really answer my question.
Thanks Mandyshaw. You get it.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Any plans to address the 300k files issue now that the basic plan has 2TB?
5 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post