cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast blocks opening Dropbox Web site from the application

Avast blocks opening Dropbox Web site from the application

faustino1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Avast notificationAvast notificationWhen trying to launch the Dropbox Web site, from the icon of the application, Avast blocks it identifying it as phising (see attached image).

It happens also when trying to reach Dropbox from the links ("Share..","Version History", etc.) of a file in the local folder.

Reinstalling Dropbox, or unlinking/linking to the account, does not solve it.

(Otherwise, there is no problem when opening the Dropbox web site by login in the web browser.)

I am using macOs Catalina and Chrome.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again @Debby M., thanks for nudging us here. 

As @Rich mentioned previously, this is a false positive. This can occur when an application is incorrectly flagged as malicious due to an overly broad detection signature or algorithm used in an antivirus software.

In any case, rest assured, the official Dropbox desktop app isn't a phishing attempt and our team is further looking into this matter.

If you have any other concerns, we are always here to assist. Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

53 Replies 53

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @faustino1, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

To ensure that we cover some initial ground, could you please confirm for me if your desktop app is syncing or if it's completely synced and up to date?

You can check this by hovering over your Dropbox icon on your system tray or menu bar

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

faustino1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It is completely synced and up to date (for the selected folders according to Selective Sync).

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming that for me, @faustino1.

I've followed up with a ticket to the email associated to your Community profile to have a more in-depth look on this together. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

blu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Windows Defender (Windows 19) keeps warning that I have a threat from a Virus called “exploit:PDF/Ticanoti.A“ located in the Dropbox Cache. Moments after Defender erases the file the warning comes again. I tried to delete everything in the dropbox.cache, but there is a folder that cannot be deleted (I tried several ways, also with the cmd command del). Even after a new start with dropbox deactivated and no app, running the delete-command gives me the error that there is a file in use (code 0x80070091). Also the dropbox synchronization seems to be stuck with 6 files to synchronize.

I suppose Dropbox keeps synchronizing, since the problem does not appear when the Dropbox-App is closed. I cannot locate the file that causes the troubles. Any ideas what could help?

JiMi0404
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same Issue 😞

blu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Me again: In the meantime I could delete the folder (with the repair-fuction for the whole disc drive). Nevertheless the virus warning keeps coming.

irobot
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The message that appears is this:
Unable to access this siteThe page file: /// C: /Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/dbxlyn2mwrdz.html#c848bac81ef1e4cc6c9cdcf95fb2ef9e3c2063b7799f114ba8f6f73cb8210fda316 temporarilybeen temporarily moved45
ERR_FAILED

irobot
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

avast x dropbox.JPGavast x dropbox.JPG

irobot
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Solution, please.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post