Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

BSOD on Win10 laptop ... throwing a bad pool caller error

New member | Level 2
Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. Most of the time it crashes as soon as syncing starts, but sometimes it stays stable for a bit. As s soon as I uninstall, all issues go away.
37 Replies

Re: BSOD on Win10 laptop ... throwing a bad pool caller error

Dropboxer
Hey @Isrn2, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

For starters, your description seems similar to what was discussed under this thread, so I’d suggest having a second look there whenever you have a minute. 

Following, could you quickly clarify whether it was an installation on a brand new device that’s causing you trouble or you’ve been trying to re-install on a device you had previously linked? 

Any other detail &/or visual aid you could include on this discussion would be very helpful (omitting personal info please) in further advising. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I did read the previous thread.  While there do seem to possibly be some similarities, I'm getting an entirely different stop code.  This is a new installation on a machine that has never been synched before.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.  I did get it ONCE to run to full synch before it crashed.  The only thing I haven't tried is taking off the auto-start on Windows startup.  I hesitate to try again right now since this is a work laptop and I've lost so much time trying to recover from the crashes.

Just for information, I'm running on an HP Elitebook B40 G5.  I guess for now I won't have it installed and will just upload to the web as needed.  Such a pain.  I hope you can get this resolved soon.

Dropboxer
Thanks for helping me paint a clearer picture @Isrn2

Following-up to what we’ve been discussing here, I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look at your account-specifics through our Official Support channel. Just to clarify, I've sent that on the email connected to your @Isrn2 Community profile, as it’s my understanding that you’re using two Community logins (@Isrn2 & @isrn22).  

Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & I'll follow-up with you soon! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I work on a service desk where we support independent agents. We had the same problem on at least a dozen machines. Dropbox starts to sync, then the machine crashes. The BSOD that I have seen are also Bad Pool Caller. Uninstall Dropbox desktop and the problem stops. The machines are a mix of Windows 7 (32-bit), Windows 8.1 and 10 (64-bit).

The first reported incident that I know of was October 7, with a Dropbox install date of 10/3/19. 

New member | Level 2

Version was 82.4.155

Explorer | Level 3
I have the same situation under win7 x64 enterprise. It has begun about 1-2 weeks ago. But I’ve had dropbox client installed for a long time when it happened.

Dropboxer
Hey @Kris_M & @Liquid_Style, thanks for flagging this with us! 

I’d like see if there’s any similarity between all the reports posted here & I’ve reached out to both of you directly, in order to investigate the root cause of the behavior. Please have a look at your inbox whenever you find some spare time. 

I look forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jane - I started having the same issue on Sat Oct 5 on my laptop running Win10 Enterprise x64 (BSoD showing BAD POOL CALLER). Can you provide any guidance similar to what you provided @lsrn2 ? Thanks in advance.

Dropboxer
Hey @D__L, I can definitely have a closer look!

While I’m currently working with your fellow Community members via email, I’m interested in seeing if you’ve run into this issue upon installing or updating. Also, have you tried any of the steps mentioned by the OP? 

If the behavior &/or troubleshooting followed so far bears any resemblance to Isrn2’s initial post, could you let me know what’s happening? 

Thanks! 

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

BSOD on Win10 laptop ... throwing a bad pool caller error
37 Replies
8 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post