Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

Be Careful About the New Dropbox

Helpful | Level 5

So here we go with "New Dropbox".  This is a message for the people behind Dropbox itself:  Be very, very careful with the "New Dropbox".

Like many others, I use Dropbox for file syncing.  That's literally it.  I want to drop files on my work PC, have it sync to my laptop and home PC.  That's ALL I use it for.  That's the reason I went with Dropbox to begin with.  I looked at the new app-collaboration! Signing requests! Create Google Docs FROM WITHIN DROPBOX!  Mark files as important, and have your Dropbox folders open WITHIN THE APP BY DEFAULT!  Do all sorts of stuff blah blah blah...

None of these new features are remotely useful to me.  Look, guys, if these features are forced on us, I'll be the first to pack up and leave.  I don't use smart sync, or any of these other features.  As long as Dropbox does its primaryonly job, which is syncing my **bleep** files, I'm happy.  The option to turn off these other features would be my number one request.  Currently it looks like it is.  Stay that way.  I want my files to sync locally and open in Explorer.  I don't want that to be too much to ask.

1 Reply

Re: Be Careful About the New Dropbox

Dropboxer
Hey there @emf2718,

First I’d like to thank you for your feedback on this and I’ll be more than happy to pass along your comments to our dev team for review. 

I’d just like to mention that with the new desktop app, if you prefer not to use the new interface then you can change the default setting in the app to open in your File Explorer instead

Also, if you want to keep all files local on your desktop then you can use it only on demand. Otherwise, you can disable it by disabling the system extension required for Smart sync to work (toggle off “Dropbox system extension” at the bottom of your Account page here).

If you have any other questions I’d be more than happy to help - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Be Careful About the New Dropbox
1 Reply
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post