cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blue Screen of Death on Win10

Blue Screen of Death on Win10

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Good morning.

Apologies for the very vague question.  We are running Dropbox on 2 Win10 PCs.  One runs absolutely fine but, on the other, it will run for maybe 30 seconds and then cause the PC to crash with a Blue Screen of Death.

Could you provide any advice on how I can go about determining what the conflict is that causes this to occur please?

If it's any help, Dropbox will not launch automatically on that PC - it must always be executed manually even though it's setup to launch on Computer start in the Dropbox settings.

Without Dropbox running the PC runs perfectly.

There are a great deal of applications installed on that PC so I'm reluctant to wipe & reinstall everything if there's a solution out there that doesn't require doing so.

This PC also experiences the issue of the browser not refreshing as described in this post here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Missing-files-folders/Webpage-folder-not-refresh/m-p/322934#M15542.  Chrome auto updates so that shouldn't be the issue.  I'll follow the other suggestions in that post to see if I can resolve that issue.  It seems strange, and probably just coincidence, that this one PC suffers from these two problems but it may be useful for you to know.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Jason.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, we have a little update to share with you all!

We've been in contact with Symantec and they've let us know that there is an update which should resolve the BSoD. This would be version 15.1 MP1 (Maintenance Patch 1) for the Endpoint Protection Client.

@ScubaStephen and @gojanpaolo, along with anyone else who may be running an older version of Symantec, please try updating to see if this does the trick for you.

If you still get the BSoD with the updated version of Symantec, then please reach out to them directly for their support for resolution.

Keep us posted with your results!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

117 Replies 117

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@FadedPoppy wrote:

Could you provide any advice on how I can go about determining what the conflict is that causes this to occur please?

There will be an stopcode and probably the faulting file listed on the blue screen. Get those and do a Google search for them. I believe Windows 10 also includes a QR code on a blue screen. Scan that with your phone and it should take you to a page with information about the error.

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the information.  I've been experiencing this for many months and forgot that I did as you said way back when and wasn't able to make any headway.  The Stop Code is: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.  There is no additional hexadecimal code.  When I scan the QR Code I'm taking to a troubleshooting page but I recall this wasn't much help.  I had previously uninstalled & reinstalled Dropbox and the problem occurred again.

Thank you again if you had any other guidance on what I can do short of uninstalling/reinstalling Dropbox.  Are there any known conflicts with other applications?  Both our PCs have pretty much the same setup but the problematic PC also has Visual Studio.

Thank you,

Jason.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you checked the Application and System event logs in Windows' Event Viewer?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @FadedPoppy, I’d like to touch-base with you here on any progress made on your end, as I haven’t been able to locate an open Support request on our system on my end. Have you managed to resolve your concern by any chance? Please let us know & we’ll do our best to follow-up with you. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your reply.  I've not been able to resolve the problem just yet.  I attempted to follow up on Rich's last suggestion of reviewing the Windows' Event Viewer but the June Windows 10 update introduced an issue where this would crash upon launch and, once in the app, would crash when attempting to create a new Custom Event (Cumulative Update June 11, 2019—KB4503293 (OS Build 18362.175)).  After finding a temporary workaround for this I wasn't then able to recreate the BSoD.  Later in the day I was able to but I've not had a chance to circle back and review the Event Viewer to see what was logged.

It seems that if Dropbox is the only app running on my PC it will run just fine but if I launch something else in addition to Dropbox then the PC starts running extremely slowly (the screen becomes jerky) and, after 1 minute or so, the BSoD appears.  Yesterday evening it occurred shortly after launching Outlook & Excel after Dropbox had already been happily running for a couple of minutes.

I still have the issue that Dropbox won't auto launch when the PC is booted up and I'm wondering if the two things could be related.

Do you have any past instances of Dropbox not playing nicely with other apps on Win10?  I can operate the PC with multiple apps running for months without a BSoD - the problem only occurs if I try to run Dropbox.  As such I typically just use the web interface but it is not convenient at all.

I'll respond this evening with feedback on the Custom Event Viewer.

Thanks and regards,

Jason.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Excellent troubleshooting skills @FadedPoppy; I have to admit I’m genuinely impressed! 🤓

@FadedPoppy wrote:

Yesterday evening it occurred shortly after launching Outlook & Excel after Dropbox had already been happily running for a couple of minutes.

I still have the issue that Dropbox won't auto launch when the PC is booted up and I'm wondering if the two things could be related.

Do you have any past instances of Dropbox not playing nicely with other apps on Win10?  I can operate the PC with multiple apps running for months without a BSoD - the problem only occurs if I try to run Dropbox. 

Now, it looks like you’re getting closer & closer as you’re investigating on your end, however, to answer your question Jason, there have been similar reports in the past detailing us how Dropbox may not play well with other applications. While this can only be proved through trial & error, I’m here to examine whether this applies in this particular case if you need further assistance. 

Please let me know of your findings & we’ll take it from there. Thanks again for keeping in touch & taking the time to work on that with me! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

3D1Nh0
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So much like FadedPoppy I've been in a struggle with Dropbox on my new setup. The only difference is the stop code on BSoD: DPC_Watchdog_Violation.

Digging that issue on Google I found that it could be something due obsolete SSD driver or something. Is it possible? I'm running a brand new Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe.

As other mentioned I forgot to check the system event logs in Windows' Event Viewer. Meanwhile Dropbox will remain uninstalled.

Thayer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue. it is actually happening when the dropbox is trying to sync while loading. diabeling the app or uninstalling it is solving the problem.

Duckuser
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issues. Dropbox was working for the last number of years without issue. Now causes my Win 7 laptop to crash after booting. Dissabling Dropbox on startup prevents the crashing. If I try and sync after startup it crashes also.

Any help??

Need more support?