cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blue Screen of Death on Win10

Blue Screen of Death on Win10

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Good morning.

Apologies for the very vague question.  We are running Dropbox on 2 Win10 PCs.  One runs absolutely fine but, on the other, it will run for maybe 30 seconds and then cause the PC to crash with a Blue Screen of Death.

Could you provide any advice on how I can go about determining what the conflict is that causes this to occur please?

If it's any help, Dropbox will not launch automatically on that PC - it must always be executed manually even though it's setup to launch on Computer start in the Dropbox settings.

Without Dropbox running the PC runs perfectly.

There are a great deal of applications installed on that PC so I'm reluctant to wipe & reinstall everything if there's a solution out there that doesn't require doing so.

This PC also experiences the issue of the browser not refreshing as described in this post here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Missing-files-folders/Webpage-folder-not-refresh/m-p/322934#M15542.  Chrome auto updates so that shouldn't be the issue.  I'll follow the other suggestions in that post to see if I can resolve that issue.  It seems strange, and probably just coincidence, that this one PC suffers from these two problems but it may be useful for you to know.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Jason.

117 Replies 117

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Office 360, Outlook, and Excel try to restore access to files in use last time. If those files are also in the dropbox folder there MIGHT be a drain on resources that cause <youknowwhat> while Dropbox tries to sync the same files. Try letting dropbox start after the others are done.

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I don't think this is the case in my situation because, try as I might, I cannot get Dropbox to start upon PC boot.  As such I have to launch it manually and invariably this is done some time after the PC has booted so I would expect any such syncing to have completed before I attempted to do this.

I don't know if the inability of Dropbox to auto launch is related to the BSoD.  Is Dropbox auto launching for any other users that are experiencing BSoD?

Jason.

cstiles
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My issue is definitely related to Dropbox opening upon start. As soon as dropbox starts up, I get the BSoD. Once I disabled dropbox from starting upon startup, my computer stopped crashing.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox and that hasn't helped.  I also tried manually starting dopbox after the start sequence and got the BSoD immediately.

I'd love to know if there is a solution in the works.  I rely on dropbox working for my workflow and not having it synced on my work computer is a big inconvenience.  Thanks! 

cb1974
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here on my corp laptop.   Clearly its a dropbox issue.   They need to get this fixed otherwise the will lose alot of customers.

alchemia-nova
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also have the same problem. Any news about how to solve it?

I tried, without success, these things:

- update Windows

- update drivers

- uninstall dropbox normally and install it again

- uninstall dropbox, clear all traces with Ccleaner, install it again

For now, beeing sick and tired of it, I'm using the APP version and it's working, but I really need the desktop version to work.

Any help?

sergiodcm00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here 😞

bubbachuck
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there a way to install an old version and stop it from updating? It seems like an issue with corporate anti-virus that kicks in when syncing occurs; I can avoid BSOD if I start Dropbox and pause syncing right away.

dropballer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am experiencing the same issue on my corporate computer. My company has more than 200,000 employees globally, many I imagine are using dropbox - they should figure this out.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone, thanks for checking in with us on this thread and sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with the BSoD on your computers.

@FadedPoppy, I was able to locate the ticket that you have with a member of my team and have made sure to pass your comments along to them. When you have the chance, please check for their latest message and don’t hesitate to get back to them with any additional info.

@cstiles, I found your ticket that you had with a specialized member of the team and can see that they had replied to you. Could you please reply to them and let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) that gets created so that I can look into it for you?

@bubbachuck, currently, there’s no way to stop the updates for the desktop app as they often has performance and security enhancements and, if it can't keep itself up-to-date, some features may stop working.

@cb1974, @alchemia-nova, @sergiodcm00, @bubbachuck, and @dropballer - I’m more than happy to help look into this with you all.

I’ve sent you each a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profiles. Please check your inboxes for my latest message and we’ll take it from there.

Thank you for all taking the time to get in touch with us and if there’s anything else I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to get back to me.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gCassy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Today I also had to uninstall Dropbox on Windows10 because of a BSOD with a different error code: BAD_POOL_CALLER

Event viewer does not reveil further details. Before the BSOD I noticed the DropboxUpdate.exe process was started. Don't know if this can help.

Our support desk adviced me to remove Dropbox completely. They are also working on a policy to block Dropbox completely from the entire network.

Need more support?