Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Broken Link to Account Deletion Tool ?

New member | Level 1

I want to delete my DropBox Basic account.   I searched for Account Deletion and find the page here https://www.dropbox.com/help/43, with a link to Account Deletion Tool.

However, when I follow that link, it takes me to this page to Connect Your Personal Dropbox.  

https://www.dropbox.com/team/join/new_pair

Can someone supply the correct URL to the Account Deletion Tool ?  Thanks.

8 Replies

Re: Broken Link to Account Deletion Tool ?

Super User

Are you currently signed into a teams account on your computer? 

I would suggest using a separate browser than the one you normally use. This can often lead to better results especially when dealing with other accounts you may be logged into. Like a business account.

Additionally, I would suggest leaving your account open. Unless you really want to remove it. There is no (required) reason to do so. It will be there waiting on you should you decide to return later.

Either way the choice is yours.

New member | Level 1

This unfortunately didn't solve the problem - at least, for me.

New member | Level 1

Me neither.   They seem to think there is just no reason to ever delete an account.   I just deleted all my files, and changed my name & email on it - and essentially abandoned it.   

Super User alumni

Ron, 

From the help pages :

If you are a Dropbox Business customer, .. before you can delete your account, any ACTIVE subscriptions must be canceled.

I don't work for Dropbox and therefore I am unable to see your account details. Sorry, I wish I could give more specifics in your situation. 

* The below is just speculation on my part

Your issues seems like you have a business account and you have not canceled your subscription. But you stated you had a basic account. So...

I am wondering if you tried the teams folder available in the basic and or Pro version! You could also be experiencing a bug. Where the system thinks your on a team plan thats needing canceled. I have no real proof other than your report but I think this could explain your problems.

Would you mind telling us if you tried the teams folder functionality ? 

@Evan

Same question please. Thanks

@Both

I am going to see if I can get someone to take notice of the topic. Best of luck to you both. 

New member | Level 1

Thank you, Tom!

Yes, I am a member - in fact, an administrator - of a team.

I was able to write a representative of Dropbox regarding our request to delete our accounts.

As a result, I learned you must first leave your team.

[Quote]

You can easily leave the team by going here:

https://www.dropbox.com/team

To leave the team, click the 'X' next to your name in the list of team members. This will return your account to a personal account.

[...]

To cancel and delete your account, please go to the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/account/delete

[End Quote]

Highlighted

Super User alumni

Ah, I see and thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

New member | Level 1

HI there can anyone help me out? I tried to delete my basic account but it wont let me delete it after I put my password etc in the account deletion page. it says there was a problem with deleting my account.

can anyone let me know what I should do?

New member | Level 1

I am having this problem as well. When I try and leave the team it says:

"You can't complete this operation because you'll run out of space"

I cannot delete the files because it is a shared folder. Exceptional oversight from a user experience perspective. Very poorly thought out service.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Broken Link to Account Deletion Tool ?
8 Replies
6 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey