Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Can I use Dropbox as a cloud drive?

Level 1

I am going to try my hand at consulting work and want to use my old laptop which is limited in power and space. To manage processing I want to remote desktop into a cloud computer where I store my applications. Data will stay on Dropbox (imagery files so they're big).

Is this possible? Is "cloud drive" the correct term? Maybe it's better to buy a proper desktop, keep it running somewhere, and remote desktop to that?

Thanks, Ray.

6 Replies

Re: cloud drive

Super User

Raymond:

I don't understand well your scenario.

You will have an application running in a Desktop in the Internet, with data in Dropbox.

And you want to remote it with your old laptop limited in power and hdd space?

If you explain us well the scenario, we can help better.

Level 1

Hi Alexis, basically I want a virtual computer that I can install a GIS software on, process on, and which will access data from Dropbox.

Then I can do my work from any computer (school, cafe, or wherever) without installing software locally or moving data across the internet.

Of course a better choice would be to buy a light weight ultra book to bring around, but I'm looking for a short term solution.

Thanks for looking into my question, hope this is more clear!

Super User

So you will have a Computer(1)  with GIS software and data will be saved on Dropbox.

Then you will access the data from another PC or laptop(2), with Dropbox.

I don't see any issue or problem on this scenario. Where is the problem?

If you need remote access to Computer(1), you need remote control software like Logmein or Teamviewer.

If you just need to access the data from Dropbox, you just need to install Dropbox on computer 2 or access www.dropbox.com

No problem at all.

Level 1

Not quite slightly smiling face

I don't want to own or maintain a physical Computer(1) but I want a cloud service to own Computer(1).

And I want access to Computer(1) from any terminal (Computer(n)) connected to the internet.

Super User

What do you mean with: "I want a cloud service to own computer (1)"?

If you wanto to access Computer 1 from any computer connected to Internet, you need remote control software like Logmein or Teamviewer.

If you need to access data, you only need Dropbox.

Level 1

say, hypothetically, that a person has no computer. They can go to the library and see their files on Dropbox. But the library computer doesn't have the software to do anything with those files. So this person wants to subscribe to not only a file storage service like Dropbox, but also a virtual operating system that they can run applications on. Just like Google Docs I suppose but for any software of their choosing.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I use Dropbox as a cloud drive?
6 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post