Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Can not login to dropbox app after reinstalling Windows 10 on my laptop.

Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Last weekend I did a Windows 10 OS Reset on my laptop. After that was completed I made sure I was at the latest updates with Windows. I installed Google Chrome, Malwarebytes, Keepass 2, Whatsapp, Discord, Signal, and Notepad++. No other software is currently installed.

When I install Dropbox, the install seems to go fine. The program starts. I can see the Dropbox icon in the system tray. The window "Set Up Dropbox" pops open with a spinning circle on a white background. After a few seconds the circle stops moving. And that is as far as I can get.

Here is a screen capture of what I see.

Screenshot (3).png

The blue circle is frozen but I can exit the pop up by clicking the x in the upper right corner.

I did notice that when I click on the system tray icon my wallpaper background can be seen through the window.

I did a Google search for similar problems and found only one that actually sounds similare to mine. It is here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Dropbox-Set-Up-takes-forever-to-allow-s...

Steps I have taken to try to resolve this:

Made sure I only have 2 devices linked to my account.
Turned off the Windows Defender and Malwarebytes anti-virus.
Turned off the Windows Defender Firewall.
Made sure all Proxy settings are turned off.
Did the full Advanced Reinstall.
Downloaded the latest offline installer (v69.4.102) via Chrome and installed by left clicking the installer.

After all of this the exact same symptoms show up.

I tried all this again using my smartphone hotspot for my internet connection. Same results.

The Android Dropbox app can connect via my wireless router with no problem. As did my laptop before I did the OS Reset. I had a friend bring their laptop over and they can connect via my wireless router as well.

At this point I am at a loss as to what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

System specific information is here.

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Build 1809
OS Build 17763.379

Laptop: Acer Predator G9-791
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
RAM: 16 GB

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Can not login to dropbox app after reinstalling Windows 10 on my laptop.

Dropboxer
Hey there @galen_dp

At first, awesome work on the initial troubleshooting, definitely takes us one step ahead of our investigation!

Moving on to your concern, in general, the content missing from the setup window is fetched from an online source, so when the content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted.

For this reason, could you double-check that you’ve covered the steps in the post that you mention, specifically ensuring that:
  • There is no security software that is blocking the connections 
  • You have whitelisted all of the Dropbox domains within any security software or hardware, which may include any security software built into your router.
Finally, please check the steps were followed for the configuration of your firewall, and double check that the domains listed here have been allowed.

If the issue persists then please don’t hesitate to let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hi. Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has taken me a few days to try all this out.

I have gone back through everything you listed.

Windows 10 Firewall: I checked the default rules and dropbox is listed as able to access any ports, both inbound and outbound. I can find no rules at all that limit what domain names can be accessed. I can't even find a way to disable specific domains.

I retried turning off the Windows 10 Firewall. Still no access.

I also tried just doing a ping of each of the domains listed as used by Dropbox. The only one that I could not ping directly was dropboxapi.com as no IP address was returned from a DNS lookup. content.dropboxapi.com worked though.

At this point I don't know what is going on. If there is something blocking dropbox I can't find it.

Dropboxer
Thanks for trying this out, @galen_dp

I’ve made sure to follow up with a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile, so please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Dropboxer

Hey there @galen_dp; how are you today?

I'm merely checking back with you here; did you manage to resolve your concern in the end and if so, what worked for you in the end?

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

We got it solved. On the dropbox website look at settings. Under the general tab make sure "Early releases" is turned off.

Dropboxer

Ah yes, this makes sense @galen_dp. As beta builds are still in the testing process, you could notice an inconsistent experience.

In any case, I'm glad to hear you managed to resolve this in the end and thanks for circling back here to let us know what worked for you - most appreciated.

It goes without saying that should you come up with a question in the future, you can always reach out here; we're just a post away.

Have a lovely day and thanks for using Dropbox!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can not login to dropbox app after reinstalling Windows 10 on my laptop.
6 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey