cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Can't Drag Files to Dropbox Folder in Catalina

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

In catalina I am no longer able to drag files in finder into the dropbox folder.  The selected object just sort of springs back into place and will not enter the Dropbox folder.

191 Replies 191

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Ted G., that’s interesting, let’s have a closer look! 

As a quick-fire answer, I’d suspect that this is permissions-related, however I’m interested in seeing whether this triggers any error/diagnostic messages along the way that would help us paint a clearer picture; please let me know in your next message if possible. 

Additionally, does that happen regardless of the original directory? Maybe it’s a specific one that’s causing that? 

Please let me know of your findings & we'll take it from there. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Thank you for the reply.

I do not see any error (or otherwise) messages when I attempt to move the file.

It does not matter what my origin directory is the file will not move into Dropbox.

Currently the only way that I can get the file into Dropbox is to open iTerm2 and issue a 'mv' command for the file into the Dropbox folder.

I have gone into accessability and given Dropbox full permissions in many places related to File and Folders but that does not fix the problem.

Rich
Super User II

@Ted G. wrote:

I have gone into accessability and given Dropbox full permissions in many places related to File and Folders but that does not fix the problem.

It wouldn't be permissions for Dropbox as it's not Dropbox moving the files; it's you. If it is a permissions problem, it would be with your own computer user account. Remember, the Dropbox folder is just a folder like any other on your computer. When you move or copy files in and out of the folder, it's your operating system performing that function; not Dropbox.

Are you able to create a new file directly in the Dropbox folder?

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Yes, using finder I can navigate to the Dropbox Folder, make files and folders and move files out.

All I know is before Catalina it was working fine.  After Catalina it is not.  ...and Dropbox is really freaking expensive now for this.

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Just tried this on my Laptop as well.  Same behavior. 

exxtreem
Helpful | Level 6

I'm having the same behavior but only when attempting to drag files into the Finder's Favorites sidebar. opening two windows and dragging from one folder to Dropbox in another window works as usual. But Catalina upgrade seems to have broken dragging into Dropbox when it's added to the Favorites siebar (dragging into all other folders in sidebar works.)

Sparrow1
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, exactly. I'm seeing the same behaviour.

Since Catalina upgrade, I can drag between windows. But if I drag to a dropbox folder in the Finder sidebar, it doesn't work. Just springs back.

Rich
Super User II

Are you able to drag to any other location in the Sidebar, or is it only Dropbox that's affected?

Ted G.
Collaborator | Level 8

Only Dropbox.  I can drag to any other location.

Need more support?