cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't access system tray preferences menu Windows 10

Can't access system tray preferences menu Windows 10

RunBear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am running DropBox desktop v 61.4.95 on Windows 10. If I left or right click the system tray Dropbox icon, I don't get any menu pop up. This means I have no way of accessing my preferences, including Sync settings.

It works fine on a different Windows 10 PC that I have and it used to work on this PC but I don't know exactly when it stopped working.

31 Replies 31

michaelytt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your reply. Poking around I saw something that said in order to see the menu you have to have permission from the administrator.  I am the administrator, so apparently I have to somehow give myself permission to see the menu.

Michael

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for pinging me back here @michaelytt! It looks like you’re referring to the admin privileges required to run Dropbox with full functionality on your computer, which is different than the role assigned if you’re working on a team account. While I’ve already sent you a brief message back regarding your initial inquiry, I’d happily explore whether installing our application with admin rights does the trick for you to get to the Preferences menu.

Once you get back in touch with me, we can discuss it in more detail Michael!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

daintria
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

can you send me the info too?  my windows 10 doesnt allow it either.

thanks

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @daintria, thanks for the nudge; kindly note that I’m not sure how Michael managed to resolve that, as running the application with admin privileges wasn’t the solution for him.

Nonetheless, I’m wondering whether the issue lies elsewhere in what you're describing us. Have you by any chance tried launching the application through the Start menu on your pc? Additionally, have you tried Rich’s tip by any chance to see if this does the trick for you? Do you see the Dropbox icon at all? 

Please let me know of any other detail &/or troubleshooting steps you've followed in your next post if possible!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

michaelytt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I was never able to run DropBox as an administrator. Finally, with help on the phone, I deleted everything, all the folders, uninstalled DropBox and installed it again and let all the folders load from the cloud. I then had multiple sets of files in a couple of locations but I gradually deleted them until only one remained.

daintria
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

i can get it to work just fine if I just open the app in the task bar or go online.  what i am trying to do is to get it to show up in the options of where to save when i open a document.  one drive shows up and other options but not drop box.

michaelytt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am afraid that the way I got all my folders to show up was to delete everything from my computer, uninstall the program, reinstall DropBox, and let it all load again.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for clarifying @daintria

Following-up from your last comment, it would be worth noting that you should be able to get going with that once you Add Dropbox as a Place in Microsoft Office. 

Please let me how you get on with my advice & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon if you have any follow-up questions!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

daintria
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

thats the root of the problem.  i have no ability to right click for the prefrence menue from the dropbox icon on the task tray, so I cant make office a "place"

michaelytt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For whatever reason, I now have full funcionality of the DropBx icon in the task tray. After the right click, one selects the star icon in the upper right hand corner, and preferences is an option down the list.

Need more support?