cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't attach files to emails in iOS

Can't attach files to emails in iOS

Stephjaz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I cannot seem to attach a file from my Dropbox into my email using gmail. 

When I click on the attachment icon it does not give me the the file source of Dropbox, Just my ipad and Cloud are my choices. 

I am using an iPad and do a lot of  emailing from it. 

38 Replies 38

MrKJ
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Strange.  Since the answer to my own problem was in Files, I wonder if looking at the settings there may help you?

Cheers, Kent

Grizzly1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That’s what I thought, strange. I also use an iPhone and can attach multiple times for the same file...

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That sounds strange indeed @Grizzly1. :thinking:

Can you let me know if you’re not seeing the file to be able to choose it when attaching files or do you see the file and it’s greyed out or gives an error when attempting to attach it to the email?

Looking forward to your reply - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Grizzly1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Okay, it gets more strange. I just tried it, to make sure I could provide details. It didn’t work, then it did/does. I just tried it 5 times or so and it works. However this has happened in the past. Works and then doesn’t. The “cloud symbol” is present, those can always be attached. Sometimes file without it cant. A slight grant out then, nothing.

Grizzly1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry, a slight gray out then nothing

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you clarify for me the steps that you’re taking to attach files within your emails? For example are you:

• Exporting the files from the Dropbox app to your email app?
  • From the email app, long tapping and choosing the option “attach” and choosing a file from Dropbox through the Files app?

If you wouldn’t mind, could you share a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of where you are located when you are selecting a file to add to the email and see the grey out?

I look forward to your reply - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Grizzly1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry, I’ve been away from this for a while.   I simply choose the attach I Cars at the lower portion of the iOS email application, choose dropbox, then the folder, file I’m looking for.  

Frankly, the whole process is frustrating. Again tonight I had an issue that I’ve previously downloaded file would attach and a previously downloaded file would not attach.

WorldLanguage
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having the exact same problem. Very frustrating. I used to be able to tap any file and it attaches in the email. Now, if I Previously attached it, the Cloud icon above the file is not there and I cannot attach it. This problem has been happening for a week now. 

Frustrated, I thought, let me make the file "new", maybe that is the issue. So I made a small change and resaved it. Lo and behold, the cloud symbol appeared above it, but...

It still will not attach. Just endless circle spin over the file. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Grizzly1 and @WorldLanguage, sorry for the late reply here!

When you experience this issue, can you just try closing the email and Files app and try attaching the files again for me? I’m wondering if refreshing the apps will change the behaviour you’re seeing as sometimes it occurs, sometimes not from what I understood. This should help us to narrow down the point where the issue occurs.

Also, if you see no difference there, just to try cover every possibility can you please clear the Dropbox app cache. You can do so with the following steps:

1. Open the Dropbox app on your device.
2. Tap the Account tab.
3. Tap the gear icon in the top left corner.
4. Select the option to “Clear cache”.

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

WorldLanguage
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

hello, 

Thanks for responding. Before I clear cache, I noticed that in that area, the Use Cellular Data was not enabled. Should I do that? I never touched that before. I would attach files to emails all the time and it worked, so I dont know what difference that makes.

Will Clear Cache erase or delete anything? I never did this operation in this space on the app either. I had dropbox app on all versions of iphone and never had this problem before. I now have an iphone Xr and version 12.3.1. 

Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jburns Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    rwraysmith New member | Level 2
    Grizzly1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?