Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Can't establish secure connection (this one is weird, though)

New member | Level 2

I know the error "can't establish secure connection" is a common one, and I've read through lots of other articles, but I haven't found a solution that works for me.

Here's my situation:

I'm using a Mac, working on OS X El Capitan, 10.11.6. 

I had an older version of Dropbox installed on my computer with an account I was no longer using, and needed to start using a different account for work.

When I started up the app, though, intending to change accounts from within the app, I got this error message:

"Can't establish secure connection."

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.48.45 PM.png

I checked that "No proxy" was selected, and made sure my computer didn't have any firewalls blocking it.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.47.55 PM.png

Now, my computer is old and has troubles connecting to the Internet unless it's a very high-speed Wi-Fi. I wondered if this could be part of the problem, and moved to a location where I always have no issues with Internet (Starbucks, as it turns out).

No improvement. Also, I had no issue connecting to other apps and browsers that use the Internet — only Dropbox continued to be a bother.

I decided to uninstall the app and re-install with the latest version. I did this, and finally it worked again! I was able to switch to a new account, and have my files sync every time I connected to the Internet. Everything seemed to be going fine.

But then, today, I opened my files again only to realize they weren't syncing. I realized the Dropbox icon was not showing at the top of my computer, so I clicked on it in my Application folder.

However, when I tried to open it from my Applications, I got this bizarre error:

"The application 'Dropbox' is not open anymore."

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.45.03 PM.png

Well, yes, of course it's not open... that's why I'm trying to open it...?

Instead of using my Applications folder, I used COMMAND + SPACE BAR to pull up Spotlight Search, typed in "Dropbox", and forced it to open that way.

The Dropbox app finally opened, but... once again... I got this nasty little error message:

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.48.41 PM.png

Maybe my computer is just old and useless, but I don't want to throw in the towel yet.

What else can I troubleshoot? I don't want to be constantly installing and reinstalling the app every time it decides to stop syncing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Can't establish secure connection (this one is weird, though)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @briannadasilva, thanks for the images. I haven't seen that ancient Dropbox logo in ages!

The simplest thing to do would be to get rid of the old app from the system completely. An advanced reinstall of the Dropbox desktop app should do the try.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Jay! I think you're on to something.

I uninstalled the Dropbox app from my Applications folder by moving it to my trash and emptying the trash. Then I restarted my computer.

When my computer turned back on, the app reappeared at the top of my screen! What!

That's when it occured to me: The app showing up at the top of my screen right now has an older logo than the one I deleted from my Applications folder.

So, clearly I had two Dropboxes running. So I searched for Dropbox in the Finder and found it in a folder called "Incompatible Software." I deleted that one as well.

So here's what I want to know: Should I continue with the "advanced installation" in that link you sent me? Is that safe to do now? Or should I just re-install the normal way?

Thanks so much!Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I’d still recommend the advanced reinstall, just to clear out the remnants of that old software. 

You never know if some vintage setting will affect the app as it works today, since it was over 6 years ago!

I also removed some personal details from the screenshot for your own privacy, as per our Community Guidelines.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thank you! Oops, I didn't even realize there was personal info there. My bad. Much appreciated. o.o

I'll let you know how it goes.

New member | Level 2

Okay, it's working now! I'm assuming there won't be further issues again, but if there are, I'll just create a new post.

Thank you for your help!

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't establish secure connection (this one is weird, though)
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post