Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode

Helpful | Level 5

Trying to set up a new Windows 10 laptop which had Dropbox already installed, in S mode. Signed in to Dropbox (used on previous machine) OK but Dropbox not appearing in File Explorer. I can open an existing Dropbox file in Excel using 'Open with'  - and can save it - but cannot create a new file in Excel and save it to dropbox because cannot add Dropbox as a location. Don't want to exit S mode; anyway the Microsoft page on S mode says you can 'save your files to ... Dropbox', so it's not S mode blocking it. But, while WIndows 10 recognises the Dropbox App, it does not recognise dropbox as a location. And yes, I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, system restart but still unable to save new files. Any ideas?

10 Replies

Re: Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode

Super User II

Its because you are using the Dropbox App - that is a read only app.

You need to download and install the full client from www.dropbox.com/downloading. This will create your Dropbox folders etc.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

But S mode will only allow apps from the microsoft store to be installed, so to get the full download, I would need to exit S mode (I really don't want to do this because my business partner, whose laptop it is, is not very internet-savvy).

Micosoft explicitly says that in S mode you can 'save files to Dropbox'. Anyway the app is not read-only because I can modify a file, I just can't create a new one, becuase windows does not list Dropbox as a location.

How does Dropbox tell windows that it's there?

Helpful | Level 5

Microsoft support couldn't fix it either. I had to exit S-mode and download the full Dropbox. It seems the microsoft website is not quite telling the truth. Thanks for your input, Mark

New member | Level 2

Thank you.  I thought it was just me - apparently Microsoft's way to force you to use their cloud, Onedrive.

New member | Level 2

Exactly.  The only option in the Microsoft Store is for the "lite" version called "Dropbox for S mode" and it doesn't allow you to directly download your own files - which makes it a complete waste of an app.  I had to find the full Dropbox download from the Dropbox website to get the actual, complete program.  Quite, quite ridiculous.

New member | Level 2

I have not used dropx box Smode but now files are not being updated in my normal Dropbox and I have found the updated files in S mode. What to do?

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for this. I tried it but even when I go to the link, I can only download the app which is S mode. I can't get regular dropbox to load. S is very inadequate and changing to online word / google creates formatting problems.

Explorer | Level 4
Replying to myself, downloading regular dropbox finally worked. I am not sure how what I did was different from the previous attempts.

Dropboxer

What happens when you click this link @Wisterianwww.dropbox.com/downloading

Have you uninstalled the S mode successfully? 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't save to Dropbox in Windows 10 S mode
10 Replies
5 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post