Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Can you save on external storage on mobile devices?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi There

Is there a way to use external storage on mobile devices (iphones/ipads) w/ dropbpx?

Can you use it to save offline files to it?

I'm talking about something like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7WKNDU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

If this specific product will not work but another one will can you please tell me which one?

Thanks for your help!

Oz

7 Replies

Re: Can you save on external storage on mobile devices?

Dropboxer

Hey there @ozitrance,

If you'd like to save a file to your internal storage or another app, you can do so by exporting it

Additionally, when you offline files, they are still in your Dropbox account in your mobile app so that any changes made to them are synced once your online again. 

If I've misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to me. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
Thank you for replying!

We want to save a lot of files and folders on the external storage so exporting one by one is not a good option here.

Is there a way to tell Dropbox to save everything on that storage device? (Like you can do on a Pc with external hd). Or at least the folders we choose to have available offline?

I couldn’t find a way doing any of that by myself ..

Thanks!
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey again @ozitrance,

Although there isn't currently a way to export whole folders from the mobile app, you can multi-select files instead of doing it one by one. 

More information

More specifically, to multi-export files in one go:

• Open the mobile app.
  • Go to the Files tab. 
  • Select the box with the tick mark icon that should be on the top right corner of your screen. 
  • Tap on the files you want to export. 
  • Select the Export option that should be at the bottom of your screen. 
  • Choose the location you want to export it to. 

@ozitrance wrote:
Is there a way to tell Dropbox to save everything on that storage device? (Like you can do on a Pc with external hd). Or at least the folders we choose to have available offline?

Currently, there isn't a way to choose another location to save offline files but I'd be more than happy to forward this thought to our dev team for future consideration. 

Finally, I just wanted to make one more note, that the Dropbox mobile app doesn't automatically store files locally on your device, unlike the Dropbox desktop app, as we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face (such as device storage). 

I hope this helps!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3
Thank you for replying

I tried following the instructions to export multiple files but when I choose more than one file I can only copy, move or delete. No export option. Only when I’m clicking on those 3 dots icon next to a file I have the option to export.

I’m using the iPhone app. Am I missing something..?

Dropboxer

Hmm. thinking face To ensure troubleshooting, could you ensure that you're using the latest version of the mobile app to do this? 

Let me know what you find, @ozitrance!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3
You’re totally right. I updated the app and now I do have the option to export multiple files.

Thank a lot for your help. I guess that’s as close as we can get to what we wanted.

Thank you

Dropboxer

No worries, @ozitrance, glad I could help even a little. smiling face with halo

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to give me a nudge. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can you save on external storage on mobile devices?
7 Replies
0 Likes