cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 2nd example - a .txt file that I can edit

Cannot edit some text files in Dropbox on iPhone?

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

In the Dropbox app on iPhone SE, I can open all my text files, but in some of them I do not get the Edit icon (looks like a cursor) at bottom left, so cannot edit them.

In others, I get the Edit icon at bottom left, and can edit them.

In both cases the text files are from the Notepad app on my Windows 10 PC.

When I cannot edit a text file, the settings and menus that I can call up do not seem to provide any solution.

Am I missing something?

Mike

46 Replies 46

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I am having exactly the same problem as Mike, but on my iPad. Same as Mike mine were created / edited using Notepad on Windows 10 (Surface). 

I can offer one observation in addition:

The text files I CAN’T edit display in beautiful, gorgeous, fixed width Courier font, but...no edit icon in lower right

The txt files I CAN edit display in nearly useless sans serifed proportional font. Edit icon in lower right, and it works, but editing without fixed width is not useful

Let me know if there is more I can do to help solve this!

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
More information

I looked at Mike’s files, and they appear the same as what I see on my iPad. His file that CANNOT be edited appears in luscious fixed width font, but no editing icon. His file that CAN be edited is in thoroughly unapppealing and non functional sans serifed proportional font, but the icon is there and I can edit it.

You asked to do an experiment on a CAN’T edit file - copy the whole file and open a blank one, paste the contents in, save it, then see if it can be edited. The answer is YES I can copy the contents to a new file, and edit the new file, however, it is presented in proportional font. Sigh.

That’s not a solution IMO, just a workaround, and it doesn’t address the fixed width issue. But there you go.

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
  1. OK Sanchez, one more item of note.

In the file that I CAN’T edit, what I see is in monspaced, fixed width serifed font. And, where there is type, each typed character is the same width. However, where more than one space bar created space exists, only one space actuallly shows.

So

1 space between C’’’’’ F’’’’’ and G’’

this line has more C’’’’’     F’’’’’  and   G’’

In the file that I CAN’T edit, the phrase

C’’’’’     F’’’’’  and  G’’

Looks like this:

C’’’’’ F’’’’’ and G’’

The “missing spaces” are  not expected of course, but may offer further clues...

Mike if you are following along, does all this comport with what you see?

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Cardinal 2B - thanks for the replies.  I have not had time to do more on this yet, and am still busy with some other stuff re an imminent trip.

Re suggestion from Sanchez (above), would YOU like to raise a ticket about this?  You seem to know a bit more than I do anyway?

When I copied/pasted into a new Notepad file, I still could not edit it, but I would need to run some more tests and can't do it just now.

Life was simpler before technology made everything easier.

Also, we don't seem to be able to attach files to our messages here?

Mike

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Mike / Sanchez

I started by filing a support request email. Then was hunting around and found your thread with the same problem. It takes 72hrs for a response. When I get one I will advise.

Mike I would not let that stop you from starting your own.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi guys, 

@Cardinal2B, thanks for posting the results of your research here! This is very interesting indeed. Can you tell me your ticket number so I can check up on it? 

@mike160304, I’ll send this over to our team internally, to make them aware of it. In the meantime, @Cardinal2B's workaround will have to do. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Cardinal2B / Sanchez:

In Notepad in Windows, I have again just opened a .txt file (that I cannot edit in Dropbox on iPhone), copied all its contents into a new Notepad .txt file and saved it to my Dropbox folder.

But I cannot edit this resulting file in Dropbox on iPhone either, as I found before.  Contrary to Cardinal2B's findings, it seems, so I don't have this workaround.

Mike

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Mike,
I did it a little differently.

Open the CANNOT.txt file in Dropbox App
Highlight a word, Select All, and Copy.
In upper left on Dropbox App screen tap “go back” < arrow
Now you are on the files screen, and at the bottom use the Create (+) button, choose Create or Upload a file, then Text File.
Tap in the screen, and Paste (you should see the contents of your CANNOT.txt file, but now in proportional font).
Hit “Next” at upper right.
Tap filename to change it from Untitiled to YESICAN.txt, and tap Done
Now either accept the location, or change it (under the Save Location heading), and click on Create in the upper right, which actually saves the file you made called YESICAN.txt

A PITA I know. But now you should have a copy of the file saved, and you should be able to edit it.

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Cardinal2B - thank you for the details of your workaround, but obviously, I doubt that I would do all that, though the number of .txt files that I use is very limited.

So yes, I'll try it, and this does prove that you know more about this kind of thing than I do, so I am very happy that you have sailed into this discussion.

Mike

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Sanchez and Cardinal2B - Another detail that may be relevant - for ALL my .txt files, I don't use any of the formal fonts, I write them all in Comic Sans MS.

I am wondering whether it would make any difference if I found out which is the most common font in the world (Arial, Courier . . .?) and used that.

Mike

Need more support?