Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Cannot find and delete hidden dropbox files taking up full HD space

Level 4

We have a dropbox business account and one of our mac computers we accidentally synced to our dropbox when that computer didn't have enough space. It paused the sync, and I tried doing selective sync to reclaim some space on the computer's hard drive-- the folders were gone from our desktop dropbox but the space was still full. I read a bunch of forums and tried deleting the dropbox cache, but it didn't free up much space at all. I finally tried unsyncing the computer from the account which removed the dropbox folder, but the space is still taken up. 

Here's a photo:

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 12.39.31 PM.pngSpace being taken up but I can't find any photos on the computer. 

The computer is currently unusable! How do I find these hidden dropbox files? Thank you so much in advance.

17 Replies

Re: Cannot find and delete hidden dropbox files taking up full HD space

Super User II
Look for the hidden .dropbox.cache folder in the root of your Dropbox folder. You can delete the content of the folder, but don't delete the folder itself. If there's a sync operation in progress, it will likely need to start over as the cache folder is also used for syncing your files.

Also note that unlinking a computer from Dropbox doesn't delete the Dropbox folder from the computer. It only prevents syncing from continuing. After unlinking, the Dropbox folder needs to be deleted manually if you no longer need it.

Level 4

Hi Rich,

I have already tried clearing .dropbox.cache but it wasn't very much space taken up in it. After unlinking the dropbox, I no longer have a dropbox folder or .dropbox.cache anymore. The space is still taken up though! Any other ideas?

Dropboxer

Hey @rrusli,

If you no longer have the files locally and you have unistalled the app, so the cache doesn't exist anymore,

then I would suggest you check to for other reasons as to why your space is taken.

Can you send us a screenshot of the clues you have that Dropbox is still taking up space, so we can investigate the issue?

Thank you in advance!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Hi, so I attached a photo showing that the math doesn't add up.. I have no evidence that it's dropbox but I know that the problem only happened after I accidentally synced with our business dropbox that had too many files for the computer (many of which were photos as you can tell from the storage info). I did find this article which might be helpful-- I don't know if it's exactly the same problem but they had invisible items taking up a lot of space on their drive and after doing a time machine backup and restored from that back up the hard drive was fixed. Do you have any other suggestions before I try this?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.36.44 PM.png

Dropboxer

Hey @rrusli,

Since there aren't any traces of Dropbox or the files you have in Dropbox in your computer (as you deleted the files and the app),

then I don't believe that Dropbox has anything to do with the extra space taken.

Can you navigate your hidden files and check if there are any Dropbox traces left?

Thank you in advance!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Sorry for the delay, I've been frustrated with this and am about to reset the whole computer. It is definitely a dropbox issue because we haven't used this computer for anything media related other than syncing the dropbox.

I can't navigate the hidden files to check for Dropbox traces because I can't find them, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. Are there any other ways of finding them?

Dropboxer
Hey @rrusli

What’s the current situation? Have you reset your Mac? 

I’ve poked around the internet a bit, and it seems that the reported hard drive usage on Mac OS can be a little off sometimes. I’ve seen re-indexing mentioned quite a bit, so you may try searching for something like Rebuild the Spotlight Index, and read about other users’ experiences and results. 

You may also be able to find these photos by using your Mac’s search function, and searching for typical photo file types, like .png, .jpg, .bmp, .tiff, etc. 

Let me know how this works out. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox

Level 2
It's an issue with Dropbox, I have the same problem. No other app in the computer. Still no solution.

Level 2

I am also having the issue after syncing gone wrong. There is NOTHING on the computer now but 2 TB of data filling the computer making it unusable. Deleted cache, uninstalled the app. Have run Clean my Mac, restarted. Harddrive still full. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cannot find and delete hidden dropbox files taking up full HD space
17 Replies
7 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post