cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Change of HD, Dropbox changed name of computer, how to change back

Explorer | Level 3

I have had a new HD installed on my IMac. The name of my machine is the same as before, let me call i MYIMAC. Dropbox sync works fine, but they changed the name of my device to a kind of dummy it seems, let me call it NEWIMAC. Now the information about the syncing on my account on dropbox.com shows that there has been no acitivity under MYIMAC since the HD was changed, while the NEWIMAC is "alive".

Dropbox help has recommended I just deactivate MYIMAC. But I want to change the name of NEWIMAC to the real name of my machine, MYIMAC to avoid confusion. Dropbox support tell me cannot help me because this is something covered by the app delivered by third party. Could anyone help me?

Tags (1)
14 Replies

Re: Change of HD, Dropbox changed name of computer, how to change back

Dropboxer

Welcome to the Community @Fride

I am confident you will find the solution to this with us. Community members will surely have similar experiences. 

Truth is changing the name of the hard drive is really out of the scope of Dropbox Support and so apologies our agents couldn't help more with this. This can be done through settings of your OS. 

I believe this discussion from the Apple Community will help. 

Please keep in mind that if the path of Dropbox changes, the desktop app might lose connection and stop syncing. If this happens, follow these steps

I would love to know you managed to solve this. 

Get back to me with your updates please.

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Fiona, thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I am sorry, but I didn´t get much help from the content of the links you sent me. There are certainly things I don´t understand well enough.. but need to change the name of my machine- so that it shows correctly on my Dropbox account. I don´t quite understand the relation to the changing of the name of the HD. Which is new of course..

Dropboxer

My bad! upside-down face

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

This should do. 

Hope this helps. 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi againt,

I am not sure I understand this.

How do I have check the present name of my user account?

When I go to systems/users/administrator, only Dropbox shows.

Do I have the same user account even if I have two devices?

The names are different on my imac and on my macbook air. I.e. the names of the

- home folders
- machines
- HD

Is there a problem with this?

Fride

Dropboxer

You can have the same Dropbox account on more than one devices. Having different contents in your local Dropbox folders/devices, means you either have a syncing issue or two accounts. No worries. We will figure this out together. 

Do you have the same email address in your desktop application preferences on the devices with the different content? 

Can you take screenshots showing what you are describing, so I can see and advise? 

Fiona

Explorer | Level 3

Hi again,

I enclose some screenshots, not sure if this is what you want.

Dropbox com name confusion.PNGOne is the naming/sync problem, appearing on my dropbox security account.

Next four show the computer and HD names on each of my devices.

I use the same email address everywhere.My machine Imac.pngMy HD Imac.pngMy HD Imac.pngMy machine MacBookAir.pngMy HD MacBookAir.png
Dropbox com name confusion.PNG

Fride

Explorer | Level 3

Strange, the screenshots all showed up twice.

Hope you can figure this out in spite of this..

Grateful for possible new tips..

Fride

Dropboxer

The question following up is super important for me to figure this out. 

Do you have the same email address in your desktop application preferences on the devices with the different content? thinking face

Fiona

Super User II

@Fride wrote:

Now the information about the syncing on my account on dropbox.com shows that there has been no acitivity under MYIMAC since the HD was changed, while the NEWIMAC is "alive".

Dropbox is simply seeing your computer as a new device. You used to be able to change the name of a computer as Dropbox sees it on your Security page by double-clicking on the computer name, but Dropbox removed that ability some time ago. Now itt's no longer possible to rename a computer or other device on Dropbox.

Your best bet would likely be to unlink the computer from Dropbox and confirm it's removed on the Security page. Make sure your comptuer is named as you want it to appear on Dropbox, then relink the computer to your account.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Change of HD, Dropbox changed name of computer, how to change back
14 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post