cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the hotkey for taking a screenshot that will be uploaded to Dropbox?

Change the hotkey for taking a screenshot that will be uploaded to Dropbox?

modi X.
New member | Level 2

Until recently I was able to decide I want to upload my screenshot or not simply by pressing CTRL while pressing PRINT on my keyboard or not. I think it was the last update, now, when I press only PRINT it uploads my screenshot, too.

I don't want that. Can I change it back?

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

With the screenshot feature enabled they will always be uploaded to Dropbox. The CTRL key only determines if you created a share link to screenshot as well. Pressing Print (PRTSCN, etc.) by itself saves a screenshot. Holding the CTRL key will save a screenshot and create a share link to it automatically.

There's no way to change the keys used.

Marc S.15
New member | Level 1

I find this behavior unacceptable. I do have other software way more powerful to capture screenshots. I can of course change the hotkey there, but that's rather a workaround. Any plans to make the hotkey configurable, or turn this feature COMPLETELY off?

Lynn L.7
New member | Level 1

I guess all that means is that I'm going to have to drop Dropbox.  I use my other software much more frequently than Dropbox, I have about a million alternatives to Dropbox thanks to everyone providing Cloud services, and there is no other software like the one Dropbox is booting off the PrintScreen hotkey without my permission.

Goodbye Dropbox!  You shouldn't have made me pick between the two.

Marc S.15
New member | Level 1

Found an acceptable workaround... kind of...

Make sure the screenshot software starts before Dropbox does.

John C.133
New member | Level 1

Yes, Dropbox stole my hotkey for Snagit. The only workaround I can find is to create another Snagit Hotkey.

I'll get used to it eventually, I guess.

Rich
Super User II

Turn off the screenshot feature of Dropbox within Preferences.

John C.133
New member | Level 1

Thanks for replies. It was pretty easy to just change the Snagit hot key to CTRL-PRINT SCREEN. I can get used to that.

John C

Giangi H.
Collaborator | Level 9

@Rich

unfortunately it doesn't work.

My "share screenshot" option is NOT enabled, but to let Greenshot work I have to first shutdown Dropbox, run Greenshot and then restart DB.

This is a bug that must be solved ASAP

Florent C.5
New member | Level 1

+1 to Giangi's post.

I've already answered here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/fr/community/posts/205152423-Release-Screenshot-s-hotkeys-binds-afte...

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Florent C.5 New member | Level 1
    Giangi H. Collaborator | Level 9
    John C.133 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?