cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing folder in Linux

Changing folder in Linux

Георгий О.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello.
I've had installed Arch Linux and put my Dropbox folder to the other partition had been mounted as USB device (e.g. to the /media folder). Recently I changed the way of mounting my partition with Dropbox folder: I add my partition to fstab file and immedeatly changed mount point.
So at the moment Dropbox doesn't find this folder (I know why). I want just to change Dropbox folder but don't know how to do it. When Dropbox daemon is starting, it gives me an error about wrong folder. If I agreed I would mark all folders to sync again (but I didn't remember all folders, meh). I have tried to find out location of the settings' file and to use dropbox-cli. Nothing helps me until I post this message.
If there're ways to correct this errors without full changing of folder, I will be happy.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aarón__
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi James,

Unfortunately, moving your Dropbox folder when using the CLI version of the Dropbox desktop client isn't currently available.

You can still use symlinks to store it in a different location, but Dropbox wouldn't be able to help with these steps or supporting any issues related to it. Apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aarón__
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there,

If you need to change the location of your Dropbox folder, please take a look at the following Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/89

I hope this helps!

James B.127
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm in the process of trying to do this now. The best thing I could find was the un-official dropbox wiki (link). Doesn't look like the linux version of dropbox explicitly lets you set the location.

Aarón__
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi James,

Unfortunately, moving your Dropbox folder when using the CLI version of the Dropbox desktop client isn't currently available.

You can still use symlinks to store it in a different location, but Dropbox wouldn't be able to help with these steps or supporting any issues related to it. Apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?