Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Copy existing Dropbox folder to new location without resyncing?

New member | Level 2

So, the Catalina installer completely bricked my iMac. Took me many hours to get back in and I was able to copy things off my hard drive. I also copied all 600+GB of my Dropbox folder. I will need to do a wipe/clean install to get my machine back up and running. When I get to that point, I'd like to be able to copy my Dropbox folder back over to the machine and not have to go through a re-sync.

I had to do this once before many years ago and Dropbox started putting duplicates of all my files in the Dropbox folder. Really want to avoid that mess, if possible. Are there step-by-step instructions for how to transplant an existing Dropbox folder to a new machine/install without triggering a re-sync and having to re-download all 600GB worth of files again?

1 Reply

Re: Copy existing Dropbox folder to new location without resyncing?

Dropboxer
Hey @Rick A.5, thanks for the in-depth explanation; I’d happily further advise! 

For starters, I’d like to link Rich’s post here that should help you get going with the re-connect. 

When it comes to the duplicates, it would be worth noting that change made to files in your Dropbox folder while it was offline—on dropbox.com or other connected devices—will result in conflicted copies

Hopefully the info & workarounds included there are useful; I’m always here if you’d like me to explain any of the above in a bit more depth. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Copy existing Dropbox folder to new location without resyncing?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post