Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Copying from Network to Dropbox Folder very Slow

Dropboxer

Sorry for that @Photo O. 

In this case, please reply back to my email with more information about this and we'll take it from there where I will be able to see more into this issue for you with all of our tools available. I will be needing to dig into account specific information in this case to be able to better troubleshoot and since your emails have not been reaching me at all so far, I would suggest that you logged  a ticket with our team and make sure to mention me or this post in your email so we can easily link the case to this forum thread. You can also let me know a ticket ID when you get one and I'll make sure to look for it internally. 

Thanks in advance and have an awesome weekend. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 9

I received your instructions as regards removing and reinstalling Dropbox. Before I do, I just need to be absolutely clear about a couple of things...

1. Will removing Dropbox  break any of my internet links. I don't see how it could, since the links point to the versions of my files located on your servers, not on my computer. Nonetheless can you assure me that this won't happen.

2. I currently have 8.8 GB of storage space. Will I retain that after reinstalling Dropbox, or will I be reverted back to the entry level 2GB?

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me posted @Photo O.!

To directly address your concerns now, no and no. Shared links or your account's quota won't get affected during this process in any way since you will be actually just re-installing our software; not creating a new account ( which would come with 2 GB of space). 

I hope this makes sense to you and let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask. Thanks!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 9

@Walter

The uninstall and reinstall fixed the problem. Woohoo!!!

File transfer speeds are now about the same from all network computers to the Dropbox folder (about 4-5 seconds for the folder of test files I have been using.)

I took the liberty of also testing after I unistalled (and before reinstalling) and it was about 5 seconds then. I'm guessing the bug was being caused by something like a bad registry entry because closing dropbox didn't fix the problem, even if I disabled it in msconfig and restarted the computer. Uninstalling Dropbox it did fix it, and I'm assuming Dropbox registry entries get removed on unistallation.

Thanks for the help

Level 9
Oops, I posted too soon

It only appeared to work because I tested copying to the Dropbox folder on T; drive without realising that the new installation has created a new Dropbox Folder on the C:Drive. (C:/users/photoone/dropbox).

When I do the file copy test after installation to the new location, I am again finding the copying is taking about 7 minutes instead of 5 seconds

Back to square one!!!

Dropboxer

Hey @Photo O. - thanks for the updates! 

Can you please clarify something for me? Are you installing the desktop application on another drive other that your main one? Note that from what I understand, the issue you are seeing may be caused by the fact you are trying to place Dropbox on a different drive. To resolve this issue, I would highly recommend locating Dropbox in the same location as your operating system.

This can be done by allowing Dropbox to install to its default location during setup as you described in your last message. Once you have completed the install you can then attempt to move the Dropbox folder to a different location by following these steps. 

Another thing to keep in mind here is that your user account must have permission to write to the desired location and that the drive must be in the correct format so make sure to check our exact drive specifications and systems requirements out too. 

Let me know what you find @Photo O. Thank you!

Walter

Level 9

@Walter wrote:

Hey @Photo O. - thanks for the updates! 

Can you please clarify something for me? Are you installing the desktop application on another drive other that your main one? Note that from what I understand, the issue you are seeing may be caused by the fact you are trying to place Dropbox on a different drive. To resolve this issue, I would highly recommend locating Dropbox in the same location as your operating system.

This can be done by allowing Dropbox to install to its default location during setup as you described in your last message. Once you have completed the install you can then attempt to move the Dropbox folder to a different location by following these steps. 

Another thing to keep in mind here is that your user account must have permission to write to the desired location and that the drive must be in the correct format so make sure to check our exact drive specifications and systems requirements out too. 

Let me know what you find @Photo O. Thank you!

1. I normally have the Dropbox program installed on drive C: (whichis my Windows 10 OS drive) but the Dropbox folder on a different drive (in this case T: ) The reason for this is that I want drag and drop to, by default, COPY files to and from Dropbox, not MOVE them. The Dropbox folder was moved there i.a.w. the correct procedure using the preferences>sync tab.

2. When I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox as per your instructions, I did not realise that it would make a new Dropbox folder on C: drive, so when I did my file copy speed test,  I did so on the (old) Dropbox folder still in drive T:  thinking that it was the correct folder. It was only the next day when I realised that files I put into that Dropbox folder (in drive T: ) were not being synced, that I realised my mistake. 

3. I then did the  file copy speed test on the new dropbox folder (on C: drive), and the same problem appears as before -  7 minutes to copy 20 x 1MB files.  

4. Rememeber that it is ONLY  when I am using the Dropbox computer (#1) to copy files to Dropbox from other computers on the network that I get the very slow copying. Copying to/from Dropbox to/from ANY drives on the Dropbox computer (#1) works fine. Copying to/from the Dropbox folder when I am using any other computer on the network it works fine. (and this is why it cannot be a network issue otherwise this would also be slow)

When Dropbox is running copying is slow

When Dropbox is not running copying is slow

When Dropbox is uninstalled, copying is FAST

Something Dropbox is doing (even when it is not running) is slowing down copying TO its folder.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your elaborate reply @Photo O. - I appreciate it.

In order to send this to an expert of my team for a more in depth analysis, I have reached out to you via email so we can take it from there.

Have a lovely day and talk to you via email soon!

Walter

Level 9

Thank you for reaching out by email but I would rather work this through here in the support forum as I cannot access my email at work and here at work is where I am having this problem. Talking through email at home means I have a minimum 24-48 hour delay time between questions an answers.

A few days ago, I took a short video of the copy dialog with the "more details" panel open.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1pok3t9k6je4hx/2018-06-26%2016.08.37.mp4?raw=1

Your experts might want to look at this. It shows that the actual copying of each file happens quite quickly, but it waits a long time with the copy speed at 0kb/s between each file.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your reply @Photo O. - I appreciate it.

I understand your concerns about the response time and I really wish I could help further but in order to have this reviewed by one of our experts I will need you to get back to me via email - apologies for this inconvenience. 

Have a lovely day ahead and talk to you via email when you get the chance. Cheers!

Walter

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Copying from Network to Dropbox Folder very Slow
32 Replies
10 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post