Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Couldn't Start Dropbox - Permissions Issue

New member | Level 2

First off, I sent a support request for this issue on 1st April, to which "Wilson" said I'd get a response ASAP. It's been a week and no response, so I'm posting on here.

I just got a new MacBook Pro (High Sierra) and have successfully setup my work Dropbox account on one user. All working fine. Then I created another admin user, and tried to boot Dropbox so I could log into my personal Dropbox. On all my other Mac devices, I’ve had multiple Dropbox accounts running on different users. Always worked seamlessly.

When I tried to boot Dropbox from the personal user, it comes up with a “Couldn’t Start Dropbox” error (please see the error below).

I have followed the various forum responses (changing the permissions in the home directory etc), with no luck. I tried to reinstall Dropbox on the personal user, and it worked fine! Then when I logged out and back into my work user, the work user was giving that very same error. It seems as though Dropbox will only work on one user, which is frustrating, as this was never a problem before.

Please can you advise - I am absolutely tearing my hair out trying to fix this.

David

18 Replies

Re: Couldn't Start Dropbox - Permissions Issue

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, David.

Initially, thanks for trying out different troubleshooting steps, awesome work! I understand that you’ve been dealing with this for some time, however, in order to investigate accordingly beyond this point, we’d have to continue via email due to account-specific info that’ll be required. 

I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a specialized member of my team and can see that they’ve replied to you. I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to them in the meantime, so if you have any further queries regarding this, please don’t hesitate to let them know - they’ll be able to have a better and more efficient look into this with our internal tools.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I am having the exact same problem. I just performed a clean OSX Mojave install on a Mac, and added our family Apple accounts. When I install the Dropbox app via one Admin account, the other admin account gets this "Couldn't start Dropbox." message. Did you get any answers from Support?

Dropboxer
Hi @KendalB, thanks for posting you query on the Community.

Could you please provide a bit more info as to what the error you’re seeing is? Are you able to copy-paste it here or send me a screenshot of it using one of the options below: Attach image.png

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 8.57.33 AM.png

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @KendalB

When you click on the hyperlink that’s shown on the error message, what do you see?

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3
bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 70.4.93
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: ada659c0-38cf-5179-984a-565b41d0094a
pid: 5155
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='kendal', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Kendal', pw_dir='/Users/kendal', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='kendal', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Kendal', pw_dir='/Users/kendal', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/kendal'
appdata: '/Users/kendal/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/kendal/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/kendal/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/kendal/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
                parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-36.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-36.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/6y/2dvy1ygj4fd7s19ydfs3qxdc0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/6y/2dvy1ygj4fd7s19ydfs3qxdc0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "objc/_lazyimport.pyc", line 39, in _loadBundle
ImportError: Bundle could not be loaded

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7211, in main_startup
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 3299, in run
  File "ui/common/uikit.pyc", line 958, in create_ui_kit
  File "ui/cocoa/uikit.pyc", line 45, in <module>
  File "Tungsten/__init__.pyc", line 30, in <module>
  File "objc/_lazyimport.pyc", line 84, in __init__
  File "objc/_lazyimport.pyc", line 46, in _loadBundle
ImportError: Bundle could not be loaded

Dropboxer
Thanks for raising this, @KendalB

I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to further investigate, so please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

"Harry" from support emailed me and gave me instructions on how to delete and re-install the App. Unfortunately, he clearly did not try to understand the issue, as I've completely formatted the iMac and re-installed both the OS (Mojave) and Dropbox App (3 times!) to no avail. The problem just keeps showing up on whichever Mac Admin user does not initially install the App. Re-installing the App changes nothing, but moves the problem to the other user. At this point I cannot have multiple users on a single iMac using their own Dropbox accounts, so I will proceed to migrate out of Dropbox to a cloud storage option that actually works.

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear this didn’t work for you, @KendalB

Since our specialized agent has access to account information, something which is not available to us here as this is a public platform, I’d suggest continuing troubleshooting this with them via email. 

Please note that I’ve made them aware of your comments here, and they’ll get back to you with additional steps as soon as possible via email. Rest assured, they’re doing their best to assist you with this. 

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Couldn't Start Dropbox - Permissions Issue
18 Replies
2 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post