cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox - permissions error - Windows 10 update created user.000 folder

Couldn't start Dropbox - permissions error - Windows 10 update created user.000 folder

ChrisJS
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Couldn't start dropbox.

This is usually because of a permissions error. 

Recent Windows 10 update renamed C:/Users/Chris to C:/Users/Chris.000 and created empty C:/Users/Chris. 

Dropbox is looking for C:/Users/Chris/Dropbox which does not exist. Do I need to do an advanced reinstall? 

Log file extract:

cwd: 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32'
real_path='C:\\WINDOWS\\system32'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\Chris\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Chris\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
not found
parent not found
dropbox_path: 'C:\\Users\\Chris\\Dropbox'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Chris\\Dropbox'
not found
sys_executable: 'C:\\Users\\Chris.000\\AppData\\Roaming\\Dropbox\\bin\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Chris.000\\AppData\\Roaming\\Dropbox\\bin\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0

14 Replies 14

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm afraid I don't see the error message attached. Could you please send it to me once more? 

Thanks again, @stagdancer!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stagdancer
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I did not attach it.  I copied and pasted it right in my reply. Is there some reason you cannot see it?

stagdancer
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

And I don't know why it says resolved!  Booting does nothing to correct anythingf.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me, @stagdancer

This thread is marked as solved as the original poster's concern was resolved, in this case, with a reboot. 

I understand that a reboot isn't the solution to the behavior you're experiencing and, to have a better look into it, I'd recommend moving this discussion to email.

I was able to locate your support request from my end that you have with a member of my team. I've made sure to pass your comments along to them and they'll get back to you as soon as they have more info on the matter. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ChrisJS
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My original problem was solved by uninstalling Dropbox reinstalling it and following this a reboot sorted out a further issue.

The Windows update creating Chris.000 produced a number of problems for me of which this was one.

Chris

Need more support?