Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB

New member | Level 2

I'm having this same problem.  All my custom folder icons were visible yesterday, and today (5/28/19) they are gone.  Keep trying to set them up again, but they wont stick during the creation process.  Using mac high sierra 10.13.6 and dropbox 73.4.118.

Please help - need custom colors/icons to aid in complex folder organization!

Thanks,
Anne

Dropboxer
Hi there @huntanne

In general, info on custom icons placed in your Dropbox folder are generally in the metadata of the folder or file, which the desktop app may not be able to sync. 

However, I do understand how important this is for you, so if you’d like, I could either send you a ticket to the email address that’s connected to your Community account or you can contact our Support team for a more in-depth look on this. 

Let me know how you’d like to proceed!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Both Forum moderators and Customer Service Representatives (email) always give the same standard answer: "Dropbox can´t sync metadata", which to be truthful should be: "DB can't sync metadata since 2 weeks ago, after our last patch".
Last reply I got from support team was "The problem is the interaction between your OS and DB". Nevertheless (1) people using different OSs are experiencing the same problem; (2) My OS was interacting with DB just fine until some weeks ago; (3) Other similar programs (e.g. OneDrive) are still interacting perfectly with my OS in terms of syncing customized icons of folders.
They made some tweek in the newest version and haven't figured out what it was, because Dropbox WAS ABLE TO SYNC CUSTOMIZED ICONS (BE IT METADATA OR NOT) FOR YEARS, WITH DIVERSE OPERATIVE SYSTEMS!

Dropboxer
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments on this with us, @loudanger. I understand how important this is for you, so I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

I also wanted to mention that these reports are continued via email, not only to investigate each case separately, but also to keep track of these behaviors and to inform our dev team for future releases. 

Thank you again for your constructive feedback. 

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

After going back and forth with the Dropbox support email people I have found my own solution.

There is a 100% guaranteed way to get your custom icons: use custom icons outside of Dropbox. You can't have both and I do not think that the Dropbox people understand what we're saying when we try to get their help with this issue. Or, they're not allowed to address it directly.

I managed to get ONE single custom icon inside of dropbox: I used Terminal to change GenericFolderIcon.icns inside the macOS itself. I love it! My default folder icon now has my logo on it!

Highlighted

Can no longer use custom folder icons for subfolders under Dropbox folder

Explorer | Level 3

Custom folder icons for subfolders under the main Dropbox folder have disappeared and can't be put back. When I try to put them back via any of the normal ways, they won't "stick", and the icon immediately reverts back to the default folder icon.

I can apply custom folder icons to any folder outside of Dropbox, so the problem is clearly related to Dropbox. Custom folder icons were working fine with Dropbox subfolders as recently as a few days ago.

I am on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (the latest) and running Dropbox 79.4.143 (also up-to-date). 

These custom folder icons are important to me because they help me distinguish between them on the Dock. Without this customization, they will all have the exact same default Mojave blue folder icon.

Re: Can no longer use custom folder icons for subfolders under Dropbox folder

Dropboxer

Hey there @alexy

In order to have a more in-depth look on this, I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Attached is the screencast you requested. In the screencast, I attempted to change the folder icon for two different folders, "files" and "poly". The "files" folder is outside of Dropbox completely. The "poly" folder is a subfolder of the main Dropbox folder. As you can see, I was able to successfully change the default blue folder icon for the "files" folder to the red-brown folder icon. When I try to do the same thing to the Dropbox "poly" folder, it doesn't take. For a split second the title bar flashes to the red-brown folder color but then immediately reverts back to the original blue color. The end result is the folder icon is not changed at all for the Dropbox "poly" folder.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @alexy

I've replied to your message via email, so please have a look at your inbox for my reply. 

Thanks again!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

I have the very same problem described by many here since a couple of hours ago, after years using Dropbox. This is very annoying.

Tried some workarounds but as I put the folders into the DB folder, the custom icons vanish as soon as they are synced.

Mac OS 10.11.6, dropbox 79.4.143

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
97 Replies
91 Likes
Solved! : See solution