Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB

Helpful | Level 6

That's a clever workaround. I'll try it if DB doesn't fix the issue and the alternatives I'm testing turn out to have their own problems.

I did get an acknowledgment from them that this was an issue caused by a recent update.  But they still talk as though fixing it is a new feature request I'm making.

Custom folder icons disappear when moved into Dropbox folder

Helpful | Level 6

Whenever I move a folder with a custom icon into my Dropbox folder on my Mac, the custom icon disappears. I experimented with OneDrive and iCloud Drive and had no similar problem. This problem never used to happen before updating to Mojave 10.14.6.

I've seen similar threads but the solutions either don't apply (not using a beta version) or have been sent pivately. I'd appreciate some help.

Is there a solution?

Re: Custom folder icons disappear when moved into Dropbox folder

Dropboxer

Hi @jh1211, thanks for checking in about this! 

In order to look into this a bit deeper, I have reached out to you via email to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

Keep an eye out for my email and reply when you can, and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Re: Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB

Helpful | Level 6

So yesterday my folder icons were also gone. I used folder icons on my mac more or less since the start of the service, never had any problems,never lost any file... and now this... 

this is really in years the first situation that let´s me check out alternatives and think about quitting dropbox... sad to said that...

I really NEED the icons, to find my stuff in daily buisness quick...

screen.png

Highlighted

Unable to change icons in dropbox folders in windows.

New member | Level 2

So I am not able to change icons anymore on any folders within the dropbox directory on windows.

I assign icons to each folder, especially as we work on magazine publishing and simply change the icons to stars once we process a certain article locally.

This is simply not possible, while I can still right click the folder within dropbox on my HDD, and select a new icon, clicking the apply button does nothing and it stays the same default icon.

This is game-changing for me, why has this been disabled, the whole office works this way, I can't imagine people not wanting to assign custom icons to their folders.

This worked normally until recently. anyone has a solution for this bug.

Tags (1)

Re: Unable to change icons in dropbox folders in windows.

Super User II

As far as I'm aware, Dropbox doesn't control the icons of folders except for special folders like Camera Uploads. I'm still able to change the icons of my folders without a problem. Windows 10 1903, Dropbox 81.3.190.

Helpful | Level 6

I'm having the same problem on my Mac. Running macOS Mojave (10.14.6). The problem just started today--lost all my custom folder icons and won't let me replace them. I use those icons to color code my works-in-progress, so this is quite disruptive to my workflow.

Collaborator | Level 8

Mojave 10.14.6 + dropbox V80.4.126 vanished folders, all default

El Capitan v10.11.6 + dropbox 7V80.4.126 customized folders everything OK

whats going on?

Helpful | Level 6

Got an official reply from Dropbox, they've done this on purpose... as i told them 'thanks, i hate it, can i regress to an earlier version?'

This IS NOT what im paying for...sync my stuff and stay the hell out of how i want my local computer stuff to look...this is a DEEPLY unhelpful move in allowing subscribers to organise their content the way they want.

Helpful | Level 6
Oh wow, on purpose... could they say WHAT purpose? I‘m just loosing my last trust in dropbox as a service....
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
223 Replies
308 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey