Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: personalized icons has gone !!!

Helpful | Level 6

Indeed they should not have made this mistake in the first place.  But why do people keep complaining that we haven't been listened to?  The message here indicates just the opposite.  They will fix the problem.  Perhaps it is useful to keep noting dissatisfaction, so the fix doesn't get pushed down on the priority list, but it's not fair to keep remarking that no one cares at the other end since, remarkably, that's been proven to be not the case.

Re: How do I customize folder icons in Dropbox for OSX?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Guy. Welcome to the party. As you can see if you read through this topic (to which your comment was moved, I think), there are a lot of us in the same boat. To answer your questions, (1) at the moment you can't, and (2) at the moment you can't. Your choices are to either move to another syncing utility or wait until Dropbox adds the custom folder functionality back, which they've said they'd do but without giving any kind of timeline.

dpdpdp, you have a point, but I think you're seeing the culmination of some longstanding frustration. It looks like you joined the discussion about two weeks ago; I joined in August, and the first posts date back months before that. At first, Dropbox didn't seem to even understand what we were talking about. Some users were told it was a Mac problem. Others were responded to as though we were asking for a new feature to be added. They kept offering a typical "this was done to improve the syncing experience" kind of non-explanation explanation. It's understandable that people are skeptical of the promised fix.

Helpful | Level 6

"No, unfortunately Google Drive does not keep any custom icons."

I guess all the people moving to Google Drive are going to be disappointed.

Collaborator | Level 8

Google Backup and Sync does work.

Google Drive File Stream does not.

Google has 2 different products for Google Drive. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I hope they fix this soon! When I try to create a new icon, its instantly overwritten, very frustrating. As most people have reported here having custom icons is an important part of the iOS file system and as such was previously completely compatible with Dropbox.

Re: How do I customize folder icons in Dropbox for OSX?

Explorer | Level 4
Thank you. A good answer. Even if not the one I wanted :(

Lost all colored folders in new Dropbox version

Helpful | Level 5
(Mac User.) For years I have used colored folders to organize my vast folder structure (just copy and paste an icon onto the folder icon in the information window, command-I). After the latest Dropbox update, this is no longer possible. Though the color shows very briefly when I paste it, it goes away immediately. Tried it on multiple computers, running Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave). Anybody have a solution?

Re: Lost all colored folders in new Dropbox version

Dropboxer

Hello @bfmalle. Welcome to Dropbox Community. 

I have moved your post under this ongoing discussion. All the information we have on the matter is included in this thread. 

I hope this helps! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Lost all colored folders in new Dropbox version

Helpful | Level 5
[this message was moved here -- misery loves company]

Explorer | Level 4
This is a really unhelpful post and to label it as solved is even worse. "We've just received an update from the team that they're working on a fix for this!" I don't know how to interpret the ! It should indicate surprise, pleasure - is the writer surprised that the team has acknowledged a problem? Are they surprised that they are working on it? and there is no time frame! That is not helpful. It is just another thing on 'the teams' to do list... but it is labelling the issue as 'solved' that is really annoying. It is misleading at best. Duplicitous at worst.
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
254 Replies
341 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey