Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: personalized icons has gone !!!

Explorer | Level 4

Yes.. I have hundreds of custom icons that I created for all my business clients' folders and it's now sadly all gone!

Also, these new versions of Dropbox seem to have several indexing issues. I used to be able to carbon copy my entire dropbox folder to another harddrive so that i can install dropbox on a new/another computer without me having to spend hours and days to redownload everything all over again.

With this new version, the indexing doesn't work anymore, which is really frustrating, as this would mean i will have to regularly archive/remove files from my Dropbox account so as to speed up the duration of new account indexing/syncing. If that's the case, then there's no incentive for me to upgrade or maintain my Dropbox account. Please fix this soon, or simply revert to the older versions which had worked perfectly!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi everyone,

This should be fixed in v84, which is currently in beta.  Thanks for the reports and let us know if you see issues:

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=84.3.155&plat=mac&type=autosignin

Forums post:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-84-3-155/td-p/373159

-J

Collaborator | Level 8

I just tested the above solution and it works.

Helpful | Level 5

Very exciting.  I also tested it, and it works. 

Also, as a bonus, it brought back another thing that I have loved: showing the tags in full line color when using XtraFinder.   It works too!  (You have to remove and re-add the tag, and there it is).

Helpful | Level 5

noooo!  It's only working on unshared folders.  The ones with the three little figures refuse to be replaced :(

Helpful | Level 6

Seems to work for me - but only on unshared folders. That still needs to be fixed.

Dropbox Folder Icons.png

Re: How do I customize folder icons in Dropbox for OSX?

Helpful | Level 7
Good response. In addition, the removal of the custom folder icon capability was explained as a feature. It was not that someone just didn't check the code and it slipped in accidentally, it was promoted as a feature. In software development, teams perform "regression testing," meaning that they check to be sure that features haven't broken by regressing to some past state. In this case it appears they were aware they were regressing, didn't tell the support teams, decided to declare "It's a feature," and underestimated the importance of this feature to a large number of customers. Thanks to everyone for being vocal here!

Dropboxer

Hi @jimsky7. Happy your custom folder icons work now! grinning face with smiling eyes

Allow me to clarify that custom folder icons was never a Dropbox feature and still isn't. That's why it worked with some Dropbox versions and did not work with others. It's an Operating system feature. I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you all for participating in our Community! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7
That's completely understood. I don't think anyone thought that custom folder icons were a Dropbox feature. But it's an OS feature that Dropbox has unexpectedly (to us) decided to override. Developers have to be very careful what they choose to override. You could decide to override the desktop photo, for instance, and you could say the desktop photo is an OS feature, not a Dropbox feature. But that wouldn't make it a reasonable thing to do.

Helpful | Level 6

@Fiona we never thought it was a Dropbox feature. It's a macOS feature that Dropbox decided to interfer with, without notice, discussion or consent. 

Also - the relentless "faux positivity" is growing tiresome and irritating. "Thank you all for participating in our Community!" ??

We are only "participating" because you did such an aggregious and unacceptable thing. 

The appropriate response is a fullsome apology, and a promise to never do such a thing again.

Otherwise - how can we trust you with our data?

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
263 Replies
344 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey