Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: How do I customize folder icons in Dropbox for OSX?

Helpful | Level 7
Oh, and actually my custom folder icons in dropbox folders do not yet work. So I'm still waiting, having ported my critical workflow already to iCloud. I'm on Dropbox app 83.4.152 and won't know if it worked until Dropbox updates the app.

Helpful | Level 6

Also @Fiona I have several emails from Dropbox where you *definitely* described interfering with my folders as a feature.

Email from Dropbox Support October 16: 

"We implemented a fix in a new version of the Dropbox desktop application that ensures consistent folder icons and file/folder permissions for items in the Dropbox folder."

You did this deliberately, and you need to promise never to do such a thing again.

@Fiona wrote:

Hi @jimsky7. Happy your custom folder icons work now! grinning face with smiling eyes

Allow me to clarify that custom folder icons was never a Dropbox feature and still isn't. That's why it worked with some Dropbox versions and did not work with others. It's an Operating system feature. I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you all for participating in our Community! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey everyone! slightly smiling face

We understand how critical this is for your workflows and greatly appreciate your interest in Dropbox and all the feedback! Our original intent was to have a more consistent experience across devices, but we decided to reverse course based on the feedback you provided.  Our apologies for the issues that this caused.

Thank you all!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: personalized icons has gone !!!

Helpful | Level 6
Cakeday

Yes! Thank you!!

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, thanks. The most important problem is that, as you are a way to backup our files and I was confident in your tool. Dropbox was the only folder ignored in my timemachine. I put all my workflow in dropbox because I was confident. And now I lost more than 500 custom icons. I went very quickly in my subfolders because of my custom icons. You can say that it is my fault because I should have kept a timemachine on the dropbox folder... but your marketing is that we can put verything in dropbox, isn't it ? Now I won't believe anymore in the tool. You destroy my process and I'm not able to recorver it. At least, you should offer one ye

Helpful | Level 6

Fiona, I've got the beta and thanks for that.  I've now spent probably a day restoring icons.   Please note that the top of a shared folder stack still resists a custom icon.  All the folders underneath are fixable.  Please request that shared folders as well be iconable.  It worked in the past, so I can't see why it couldn't work again.

Best,

t.

Helpful | Level 5

I was never able to customize the icons of shared folders.

Anyone know when the rest of us will get v84?

-- Henri

Dropboxer

No ETA for 84 @henrip. It will be posted in Community as always. slightly smiling face

Thank you for your interest.

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hat leider nur 4 Tage funktioniert. Inzwischen sind wieder alle Icons verschwunden.

Johannes

Explorer | Level 4

I'm on Dropbox (Mac) v84.4.170, and my icons still don't show, and dissappear if I paste new ones....Screenshot 2019-11-02 13.28.55.PNG

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
263 Replies
344 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey