Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: How do I customize folder icons in Dropbox for OSX?

Dropboxer

Wish I had the "hot hand", as you say @TomDe. slightly smiling face

Your feedback and participation triggers most Dropbox changes. 

Thank you for this feedback!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Well the version 84 was working great for me but now it updated to v85.3.147 and it doesn't work. Good grief. Why do they mark this solved!

Dropboxer

Hey there @gwat62, thanks for your update here!

It seems that your desktop app has updated to a beta version. You can revert back to the latest stable version, which you mentioned resolved the issue for you, with these steps:

1. Toggle off "Early releases" towards the bottom of your account settings here.
  2. Download and install the latest stable version from here.

You shouldn't need to uninstall the current app on your desktop to carry out the install.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Re: personalized icons has gone !!!

New member | Level 2

what if I only use the online version of Dropbox and I don't require synching. The online version changes the thumbnails.

Re: personalized icons has gone !!!

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @filmonaday!

Adding customized folder icons is actually a feature of your OS rather than Dropbox. So the changed folder icon can only be seen/applied via the desktop.

Since you don't use the desktop app to sync your files, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to apply or see any custom folder icons through the website.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same problems with custom folder icons not working in my DropBox folders only. It is really frustrating as I have a lot of client folders that now all look the same. It worked fine until about a month ago.

I already have the "Early Releases" option turned off. It looks like have version 85.4.155. I am on an iMac running Mojave 10.14.6.

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @janobonano!

Are you still having custom icons reverting back to plain folder icons with this version of the desktop app? I'd just like to clarify as a member of my team mentioned here that this should have been resolved in version 84 of the desktop app.

If the folder icons are still reverting, can you please just try downloading and re-installing the desktop app to see if that does the trick?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 7

To give another datapoint, my custom folder icons have been fine since the afore-mentioned fixes by development team. However the Dropbox app (85.4.155) does not run. I double-click it and it just never comes up. I figured that's why my icons are OK, as I have no other use for the desktop app at all.

syslog says

default 13:01:17.317556 -0800 Dropbox 27366555: RECEIVED OUT-OF-SEQUENCE NOTIFICATION: 0 vs 209, 513, <private>

there are processes named 'Dropbox' that are running, however, and files get sync'ed to my other Dropbox computer. No operational complaints at all -- just the app isn't running.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne, I downloaded from your link and re-installed, then shut down my computer and restarted and it still doesn't work. The folders changed for a few seconds then went back to blue. These are shared folders.

Explorer | Level 4

It still does not work with shared folders.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
263 Replies
344 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post