Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Date Added/Created Changed When Copy Option Used

Explorer | Level 3

Please note I use the following;

• Mac V 10.11.4 OS X El Capitan
  • Firefox Browser Version 65.0
  • Dropbox Desktop App
  • Files Uploaded to Dropbox Desktop App are synched to my computer

I've used Dropbox App routinely and uploaded files directly to my Dropbox App.

I upload all raw files directly into 1 designated folder within my Dropbox Desktop app.

I then use the 'Copy' option while within the Dropbox folder via online (not within the Dropbox Desktop app) to copy those files into their appropriately titled folders.

In the past the 'Copy' option maintined the Date Added, Date Created etc., information listed within my Dropbox Desktop App Folder on my computer into whatever other folder I copied the file to.

My Dropbox online account also contained the same information under Modified Date.

Now when I choose 'Copy' the file copied into the new folder says it was 'moved' when I check Dropbox online. 

The Dropbox Desktop app and Dropbox online folders then list the date and time of when I tried to 'copy' it- not the original uploaded/date created/date added information.

The original Date Added, Date Created is no longer correct.

Maintaing the original dates when a file has been uploaded is crucial for me to ensure that I'm using the proper files for my work. Hence why I always used the 'Copy' option.

Can you tell me when this will be fixed? Or are there any steps I should take to correct?

Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: Date Added/Created Changed When Copy Option Used

Dropboxer

Hey there @AC21 - welcome to our forums! 

First of all, can you tell me if you're looking at the original file or the copied one? Also, could you send me a screenshot of the discrepancy you mentioned and where you're seeing it? Does this behavior persist on other browsers? 

Are you noticing this for all of your files? Did you check the EXIF data of the file on your computer (from within your Dropbox Folder)?  What does it report there when you do? 

Any additional information you can share will be very helpful in our investigation!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same problem.  I use Windows, and it doesn't matter what browser I use (Firefox, Edge).

I go to dropbox.com in my browser, open a folder, select a few files, and copy them to another folder.  Until about 2 months ago, the copied files would have the same modified date as the original files.  Now, the copied files have the modified date set to the date I performed the copy.  (The modified date on the original files is not changed.)

This makes it much more difficult for me to manage my files.  Is there some way to restore the old behavior?

Dropboxer

Hey there @shaker23  - sorry to hear about this; may I reach out via email to your Dropbox associated address so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available? 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Can I also get help from you on this issue too?

I'm still having the same issues that I originally informed you all on this thread and that Walter agreed was happening with him too.

For example today I downloaded files that were originally created on 02/18, then copied them into their apprropriate folders for use and the date 02/20 on those files copied into that other folder were modified to today's date.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @AC21  - I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated address (thus creating a ticket with you with ID: 8926529) so we can work on this together. 

Take a look at your inbox when you get the chance and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter - Yes, you can contact me at the email address associated with my Dropbox account.

Dropboxer

I just did @shaker23  - thanks for the nudge winking face

Take a look at your inbox (ticket with ID: 8927352 ) and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Walter

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hi peeps, just wanted to check back with you on this: were you able to resolve your concern in the end? If so, what were the steps that you followed?

Thanks in advance! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Date Added/Created Changed When Copy Option Used
8 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey