Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

Delete Everywhere pop up

Explorer | Level 3

When I delete a file on my PC laptop a message pops up (Delete Everywhere) Is that file being deleted in drop box too? I just started to get that pop up. Is there a way to turn that off? 

Tags (2)
13 Replies

Re: Delete Everywhere pop up

Super User II

Yes, it is being deleted on all linked devices. 

And to stop the message tick inside the box that says 'do not show in future'.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

I understand how to stop the pop up, however, I don't know how to stop deleting everywhere, including dropbox. Can you help? 

Super User II

Yes - dont delete them slightly smiling face

Dropbox is designed to sync changes across all devices. So, delete or edit or add a file on one device and it will do the same to all others. That is simply what its designed to do. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

Example: I have a file saved on my dessktop and same file in DropBox. I only want  the file on my desk top delted, however, it's deleting it in my DB too. 

If I select "no don't delete everwhere" the files on my desktop remains there. clutter... Way to much unproductive time on this issues.... May  be time to look into learing the Gmail cloud.   

Super User II

That isnt how Dropbox works, so, if you are deleting a file on your desktop and it is also deleting inside of Dropbox you've done something to the software to cause that - its a very, very common complaint that it DOESNT do what you are saying.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for explaining that when I delete a file on my desk top the file does not delete in drop box. I checked the delete everywhere pop up box so I won't see it anymore. 

Dropbox app is a piece of **bleep** or im really stupid, looking for a fix

New member | Level 2

Whenever I try to delete anything from the dropbox app it gives me the "delete everywhere" popup. There is nothing to stop it in Sync settings, and whenever you press Cancel it just puts all the files back. Absolute pain in the ass to constantly go back to dropbox.com just to delete things. 

Re: Dropbox app is a piece of **bleep** or im really stupid, looking for a fix

Dropboxer
Hey @Diamond2, this Notification has recently been adjusted according to the plan & file type you’re removing, however I’ve just moved your post here, just so as to ping you to Mark’s post above. Do you by any chance see the box that reads “Do not show in the future”? Are you getting any other diagnostic messages incidentally? 

Please let us know how you get on with these hints whenever you get a chance. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox app is a piece of **bleep** or im really stupid, looking for a fix

New member | Level 2

I have a similar question.  I want my windows deletion in my dropbox folder to ALWAYS delete everywhere -- without promting me.  Is this possible?  It's very annoying.  The pop-up often happens when I'm already working on something else.drop_box_delete_dialog.PNGdrop_box_delete_dialog.PNG

Note that pressing "See Sync options" takes me to a website that does not solve this in any way.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Delete Everywhere pop up
13 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post