Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Desktop App not syncing - data in new_files

Explorer | Level 3

Until recently my Dropbox app on Windows 7 was working just fine, until the (secondary) drive which held the Dropbox data failed. After fixing the drive, I haven't been able to get the sync to work anymore.

The Dropbox app is reporting that all data is synced just fine, while in fact there is no data at all (only the directories are there, without any files in them). The data is still intact on Dropbox web, it just won't show up on my computer.

Something I noticed is that the .dropbox.cache directory reports the exact amount of data usage that Dropbox web is reporting too (6.68GB). The files in question are in .dropbox.cache/new_files (but this is obscure data, not the actual files). Something else I noticed is that while the reported Size is 6.68GB, the "Size on disk" is only 15.4MB.

I have already tried every suggested solution I could find, and nothing appears to work. I've removed all data in .dropbox.cache and restarted the application, but then it it just recreates .dropbox.cache and fills the new_files directory back up, without syncing anything else. I have already removed the Dropbox application, removed all Dropbox data (even tried removing some registry entries), rebooted, and reinstalled the application from scratch: no luck either. It just keeps on doing the exact same thing over and over.

Meanwhile in Windows explorer it also shows all directories within the Dropbox folder are in sync, and no errors are showing up anywhere, and nothing shows up in Sync Issues.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Desktop App not syncing - data in new_files

Dropboxer
Hey @Andre12, I appreciate your detailed description & thanks for devoting some time to troubleshoot the issue at hand on your end!

As you mentioned that your entire account & file structure has been affected (i.e. as your directories appear empty), I’d concur that there’s an issue with the app itself being unable to establish a connection to your account online. 

Just as an initial point of reference, could you include a few screenshots (redacting personal info) showing me your current syncing status & your file structure in your Windows Explorer view in your next message, in order to start working on that a bit closer? 

Thanks again for taking the time to gather these details for me. Looking forward to your next reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane,

From what I can tell, the app is able to connect just fine. It shows syncing for a few seconds (which it downloads some stuff to the cache folder) and then just marks all Dropbox folders are synced one by one.

As for that screenshot: i'm not sure what part you'd like me to screenshot specifically. It simply shows a green checkmark with "Up to date". In Windows Explorer it shows all the folders with a green checkmark. Is that the info you needed?

Dropboxer
Thanks for the extra details @Andre12

That’s exactly what I needed, I’ve wanted to see whether your overlay icons are loading & what’s the app status on your system tray. From what I gather from your description Andre, it looks like the files are being cached & not populating the relevant directories, so it would be helpful to see if the app is working as it should. 

Despite mentioning that this arisen after fixing your drive, I’m wondering if you’ve ruled out this being caused by incompatible characters. 

Also, could you try unlinking & relinking your account on the device causing you trouble once, as it recreates the local database

Please let me know of the outcome & thanks again for keeping in touch with me here! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

I have checked for incompatible characters and that's not the case. It also wouldn't make sense if that were causing it, since it worked fine before with the same files.

I already unlinked/relinked the account several times (and also reinstalled the whole app), and that didn't help either.

Explorer | Level 3

Bump.. any suggestions?

Dropboxer
Hey @Andre12, it seems that I had missed a few notes here from the 24th, please accept my apologies for the delay. 

As you mentioned that you’ve gone ahead re-installing the desktop app & this hasn’t fixed the issue either, then I'd need to look on that based on the info I have on file on my tools. 

Once you confirm your account owership on the email chain I’ve created on your behalf, we’ll continue working on that from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again for your efforts & ongoing cooperation! 

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Desktop App not syncing - data in new_files
6 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post