cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory."

Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory."

Eric A.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been a happy user of Dropbox for years. Until recently . . .

Dropbox recently quit working properly. The latest issue today was that it failed to load the "platform plugin windows." The Dropbox popup suggested that I reinstall Dropbox. So . . . I dutifully reinstalled Dropbox as recommended. However, I do not like to have my Dropbox located in the default . . . Users/User/Dropbox location, but on a separate hard drive.

So as soon as Dropbox opens the first time, it starts syncing to the default location (yes, development team, that needs to be fixed too -- please include an initial inquiry on first startup after install to make sure you are using the directory the user actually wants!).

I paused the syncing, opened the Preferences, went to "Account" and attempted to select a different Location, as ostensibly permitted by the preferences interface. However, when I went to the drive that contains my Dropbox, it refuses to allow me to use that location, because -- wouldn't you know it! -- there is already a Dropbox folder there. Duh! Dropbox told me to reinstall the application, but I don't want to delete everything from my computer and re-sync the entire Dropbox. Of course I already have a folder called "Dropbox". Just let me point to it.

Please, please, fix this ASAP, and don't tell me that this is something you "are aware of and are working on." A decent programmer could solve this issue during his lunch hour.

Bottom line: Dropbox needs to allow the user to specify where they want the Dropbox folder to be or where it already is.

58 Replies 58

Michael W.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem!

This fix doesn't work for Windows 10 installer.

The advances option doesn't exist.

PLEASE  HELP

Syibly Avivy A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I install dropbox in my both windows 10 PC + windows 8 in my laptop + Android on my phone.

All run normally.

@ Luis, I will try to input a picture here (step by step), but I think will do it on another laptop (windows 8). Wish this help all.

Be right back

simpson b.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@luis, Cristopher, Michael

Yes. Install. Keep going. It will ask for login, keep going.

The blue portrait installer thing will have several stages. The first will be login, then, at some point you will have a blue screen that says "Advanced options". It will feel like it's too late, it isn't.

1: Login :Click me for the login screen

2: It will seem like it's done, like this: Click me for finished screen.

3: But it's not all over. "Advanced" does this: Click me for the advanced screen

In there, it will have a Dropbox folder combo where the new location (C:\users\Wrong\Folder\Dropbox) will be and, maybe, the previous folder (D:\Dropbox). If you choose "D:\Dropbox", it will spew out a confusing error message "There already is a Dropbox at that location". Which is what you WANT. The software is correct, it's just darn ambiguous.

The error should read "You can't put Dropbox in your Dropbox, since your username isn't Xzibit". If that message were real, you would immediately know what the issue is. The folder should be "D:\" NOT "D:\Dropbox".

So click the combo box, Select "Other" or "Browse" (can't remember) and click on the parent folder - The folder where you want your "Dropbox" folder to drop.

If you want to use F:\Stuff\Dropbox\Folder.jpg, then you need to point at F:\Stuff.

You'll know you did it right when Dropbox quietly accepts your selection and the icon in the tray starts putting out decent stats (Indexing 20.000 files).

I hope this is more clear.

Michael W.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I found my problem,

If after you sign in you click "selective sync", the advanced option will not appear in the flow.

However, if you press "sync all my files", the advanced option appears as promised.

After that you can do your selective syncing as well.

Perhaps Dropbox should fix this flow problem and save some grief...

Hope this helps anyone else that did not understand what everybody here was talking about

Michael

Van F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Well done Michael W. This was indeed my solution. I had to act as if I were signing in, then the advanced option appeared. I selected the path to the folder containing my Drop box folder, in this case I selected K:\. It found my existing drop box easily and oped it immediately stating here is your dropbox folder. 

Now it is just indexing and uploading a few new files.

Thanks. This is the post of many many that I read that worked for me.

Mike J.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm using Mac OS X.9.5, and DropBox v3.16.1

So I've uninstalled and deleted my dropbox app and dropbox default folder, as suggested here in this thread.  I downloaded and installed the latest dropbox installer.  I do not see any advanced settings button or hyperlink to click on to choose a different folder other than the default.

Is there something I am missing?

simpson b.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Mike, please read my post above, dated Feb 13 and the post below, dated Feb 14.

If you follow my instructions, please point to the exact failure point.

Mike J.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you @simpson b.

It did not display the same dialog boxes as you gave to me.  Once I input my credentials, it creates the default folder and starts syncing files.  I can pause syncing, then click in the preferences to choose the new location of the existing DropBox folder.

I did not do the 'rename' folder and manually copy over, because I am afraid that I'll unlink my other volume from seeing the DropBox folder.  I have almost 700GB, so I really don't want to wait a week for all of those files to download again, and I don't want to fill my SSD drive with DropBox files.

simpson b.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I don't own a mac, unfortunately.

Can you see this:

https://sway.com/HmgoKiIusIGpX6Gc

?

Those are screen grabs of the setup process in order.

1) Installing

2) Installing

3) Login (press enter)

4) Thinking (seems like it is doing things)

5) Done! Press Sync Everything.

6) It appears to be working in the background. Isn't. Press Advanced Settings.

7) Choose your dropbox location. Then choose Selective Sync if you wish.

If you feel strongly that you have followed these, maybe it's different on Mac.

Victor W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

this is hilarious ... simpson, how is your solution solving this issue: 
Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory." ?

I am on Win 10 and is no way to make it work.
Great work from Dropbox, and the support .. speechless...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Philippa B. New member | Level 1
    CCM D. New member | Level 2
    Eric A.5 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?