Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Desktop Experience Wont Load

New member | Level 2

I've downloaded and installed the newest dropbox experience by clicking the tray icon/avatar/preferences/"try the new dropbox desktop experience" link a couple of times. I've restarted since installing, and when I follow the instructions for using the new "Desktop Experience" there still isn't an "Open Folders In" option. Just the "Try the New Desktop...." link that leads back to the download page.

I'd really like to try it before making a decision to keep my subscriptions. Please help.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Desktop Experience Wont Load

Dropboxer

Hello @rwebbart - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

First off, thank you for reaching out about the new Dropbox desktop experience. I'm glad to hear you're interested in trying it out as well!

To access to the new desktop app:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in the Windows system tray or Mac menu bar.

2. Click your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.

3. Click Preferences…

4. Click the dropdown next to “Open folders in:” and select “Dropbox desktop app”

5. To ensure the new desktop app opens whenever Dropbox starts, check the box for the “Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox” option at the top of the window

If you do not see the “Open folders in” option, it will be made available to you at a later time. 

Regardless of the settings outlined above, you can always open the new Dropbox desktop app by clicking on the Dropbox app icon in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) after Dropbox is already running in the system tray or menu bar.

You can find more details about the Dropbox desktop experience in this help center article if needed: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/desktop-application-overview

Please feel free to reply with any additional questions or feedback and I'll be happy to follow up! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
I've moved to a new company and have to make a decision between dropbox(what I used) and Drive (what they use) for my new team. Access to the new desktop experience and desktop paper app may help me convert them, but not if I cant demo it and cant give a time that it will be available. Is there a way to sign up for access?

Super User II

There is no way to opt in unless its 'your time' I'm afraid.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Desktop Experience Wont Load
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post