Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Desperately to get rid of unstable Beta Build 82.3.138 and support are ignoring me

Collaborator | Level 9

Has anyone any advice please how to install a stable verion of Dripbox without losing all my files?

I have an install of 82.3.138 whiich is on a paid for personal account and I am having a nightmare time with it not syncing, not advising me if someone else has added a file or is looking at a file, etc which has caused me big problems already with conflicted copies.

I didn't even know I was on a beta issue until I contacted support. I have "don't include me in early releases" turned off. Suport was pleasant,  advised me to install the latest stable release - and the we tried twice via online and also a full desktop downloaded install. l was left with a promise that an expert would get in touch with me an that was 3 days ago without any response despite numerous requests for further help.

After the totally unlilateral decision to increase the availability to 2TB at an increased cost when I only use less that 50 gb irked me intensly.  I'm a solo business, not a team and all the new whistles and bells are totally useless to me. I hate the non-user friendly UI.  My subscription is up in October and After 7 years I've decided to ditch Dripbox and look for an alternative but I need to have a stable version to finish off work because I'm frightened of losing data. Help please, anyone?

Tags (1)
29 Replies

Re: Desperately to get rid of unstable Beta Build 82.3.138 and support are ignoring me

Dropboxer

Hi @Debby M., thank you for checking in about this.

I am sorry to learn about the inconvenience this has caused! In order for me to look into this, could you provide me with the Ticket ID of your communication with our team? It will be stated in your email correspondence and will look like "#1234567".

Rest assured that re-installing the Dropbox desktop app, stable or beta, does not affect your files on the computer or the account online in any way.

As a last confirmation since you mentioned trying to download the app a few times, could you double-check that both the website and your desktop account are signed in to the same email address? This is to confirm that the "Early releases" setting you mention being switched off, does actually correspond to the desktop account you are having issues with.

Thank you in advance, and I await your updates!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Re: Desperately to get rid of unstable Beta Build 82.3.138 and support are ignoring me

Collaborator | Level 9

my email has never changed for Dropbox.

I don't rest assured about anything to do with this. I don't trust Dropbox now - after years of relying heavily on it.

Thanks for contacting me.

Dropboxer

Thank you for getting back to me, @Debby M.!

I was able to locate your communication and can confirm our specialized team is currently investigating the issue you are experiencing so as to get back to you with the relevant guidance as soon as possible.

I have also added your notes from here for extra reference. In order to ensure all relevant information is accessible on the same thread, please refer to the email correspondence for any further updates.

We appreciate your patience with this, and please do let me know if I can help with anything else moving forwards. 

Thank you!

Celeste

Collaborator | Level 9

Well Celeste2 - that answer was neither use nor ornament. Your colleague- who was very pleasant andprobably helped me as far as she could then fobbed me off and left me in limbo and you are doing the same.

As I look for an alternative to Dropbox, may I refer to the conversation - perhaps this will help your expert. I've edited the conversation because it took over an hourto get to the same point - and I never received the promised acknowledgement from the 'Expert':
( 14:4smiling face with halo7 ) Visitor: I seem to have lost the ability to edit in Pixlr direct from Dropbox. Has this been removed?

( 14:44:06 ) Jen: They have not made us aware of this yet but I will check.
( 14:44:23 ) Visitor: It was like this yesterday - it's one of my most used functions
( 14:44:53 ) Jen: Sure, while I am running a test could you try to do this using a different browser?
( 14:47:12 ) Visitor: No - it doesn't work in either Firefox or Chrome. It's always worked in both before
( 14:58:58 ) Visitor: Sorry - I think it may be all the updates to the UI - which I do NOT like - long-term DB user and it's horrible. Also I'm finding that I'm not getting notifications if somebody goes into my files so that we avoid conflict sync.
( 14:59:16 ) Visitor: I don't think it's syncing properly - it's very slow where it used to be immediate.
( 15:00:12 ) Jen: You are using the desktop application correct?
( 15:00:28 ) Visitor: That's true
( 15:0smiling face with halo8 ) Jen: And it sounds like your Badge is not working correctly as well right?
( 15:00:46 ) Visitor: Correct
( 15:01:30 ) Jen: One thing is you are on a beta build which would most definitely affect your syncing
( 15:01:44 ) Jen: Betas are in testing
( 15:01:54 ) Jen: We should try to get you on a stable build

( 15:03:40 ) Jen: Sure, so first we would like to do these steps:
( 15:04:05 ) Jen: 1 Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
2. Click on "Settings".
3. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

( 15:07:56 ) Visitor: I'm sorry but I can't find that Include me in early releases box
( 15:08:21 ) Jen: Click on this please
( 15:08:41 ) Jen: Then scroll down to Early releases
( 15:08:53 ) Jen: Under Automatic time zone
( 15:09:19 ) Jen: Make sure it is off
( 15:09:31 ) Jen: Sorry that was an old set of steps, I need to update that.
( 15:11:09 ) Visitor: Lost you again Jen - yes I've switched early releases off now
( 15:11:29 ) Jen: Great, and I will stay with you until we are done, sorry you keep losing me.
( 15:11:44 ) Jen: So now that we have that switched off we need to reinstall

( 15:12:19 ) Visitor: OKay - we're okay with not losing any info aren't we Jen if I do this????
( 15:12:53 ) Jen: Yes, this is just getting you on the right version, not affecting your files
( 15:13:14 ) Visitor: Great - okay I've downloaded. Should I reinstall?

( 15:14:18 ) Jen: I will send you an email if for some reason we lose each other
( 15:14:19 ) Visitor: Not that I noticed but Dropbox.exe is downloaded.
( 15:14:27 ) Visitor: OKay!
( 15:15:31 ) Jen: Do you see the Dropbox icon in your system tray?
( 15:17:42 ) Visitor: version ends in .195
( 15:17:49 ) Jen: Do you see something that say 81.4
( 15:17:53 ) Jen: says*
( 15:18:05 ) Jen: Is it 81.4.195?
( 15:18:17 ) Visitor: Yep that's it
( 15:18:22 ) Jen: Perfect.
( 15:18:30 ) Jen: So before you were on a 82.3
( 15:18:36 ) Visitor: Just waiting for the icon to come back properly
( 15:18:45 ) Jen: The 3 means beta and the 4 means stable
( 15:18:56 ) Jen: So we do have you back on the stable slightly smiling face
( 15:19:09 ) Jen: So let's give it some time to do it's thing
( 15:19:34 ) Visitor: Great - I'm just waiting for it to come back properly. I've been using DB for 7 years so it's quite big slightly smiling face
( 15:19:55 ) Jen: Nice, glad to hear you have been with us so long slightly smiling face
( 15:2smiling face with halo4 ) Visitor: Actually - it's saying that it's starting not syncing - but I casn see the 'blue spinning' circle
( 15:20:56 ) Jen: Sure, lets let it get past the starting and then see what it says
( 15:21:05 ) Jen: Once it say up to date we should be cool
( 15:21:11 ) Visitor: It says connecting now - still greyed u t
( 15:21:20 ) Jen: Great that's the next
( 15:21:34 ) Jen: Does stating, then connecting, then it should sync/re-index
( 15:21:41 ) Jen: Then it should go up to date
( 15:21:54 ) Jen: starting not stating
( 15:22:03 ) Visitor: OH OH I can see that it says 133 at the end
( 15:22:16 ) Jen: It is the first 3 we are concerned with
( 15:22:26 ) Jen: Does the first 3 say 82.3?
( 15:22:46 ) Visitor: 82.3.133 is the version that's showing on the icon
( 15:23:05 ) Jen: Wow, that is crazy
( 15:23:11 ) Jen: I saw you on the 81.4
( 15:23:24 ) Jen: Then I now see you are back on the 82.3
( 15:23:31 ) Visitor: Mmmmm
( 15:23:57 ) Jen: Does your early releases still show off?

( 15:25:25 ) Visitor: Yes it does
( 15:25:48 ) Jen: Okay, let me find a direct link and see if that will work, just a moment please
( 15:25:58 ) Visitor: Okay

( 15:39:26 ) Visitor: I'm on 133 again even after running the installer.
( 15:39:51 ) Visitor: It looks like 133 is overriding the stable one
( 15:40:04 ) Jen: Yes, it seems so.
( 15:40:47 ) Jen: There is one more thing I would like you to try, a basic re-install, but you will lose me doing those steps as part is shutting down and then restarting your computer
( 15:41:02 ) Jen: Is it OK to send you the steps in an email and you can let me know how it goes?
( 15:42:49 ) Visitor: Yes Jen - I really need to get working again. I'm very concerned that this is going to los the work which I'm working on in Dropbox
( 15:43:05 ) Visitor: I can also see that smar sync is off
( 15:44:01 ) Jen: Yeah, that beta build is really getting you, let me check one more thing, just a moment please
( 15:44:18 ) Visitor: OKay
( 15:44:51 ) Jen: At this point, I would like to transfer you to an agent specializing in this issue to help get this resolved as quickly as possible.
( 15:45:04 ) Visitor: Okay
( 15:45:06 ) Jen: Before I transfer you, I wanted to thank you again for reaching out and also summarize what we’ve gone through so far today so the specialized agent knows where we left off.
( 15:45:38 ) Visitor: okay
(
( 15:46:28 ) Jen: Thank you for your patience, the agent will be with you shortly.
( 15:46:29 ) Visitor: yws
( 15:47:27 ) Jen: I just missed them Debby, it may be awhile before they become available again.
( 15:47:40 ) Jen: Seems some people beat me to the puch
( 15:47:42 ) Jen: punch
( 15:48:20 ) Visitor: Okay Jen - please will you get them to contact me - this is urgent but I also have a lot of work to do and it's all dependent on stuff in Dropbox
( 15:49:27 ) Jen: Yes, I will send you an email, they will contact you through that.
( 15:49:47 ) Visitor: okay thank you
( 15:49:55 ) Jen: You bet, be in touch soon!

Dropboxer

Hi @Debby M., thank you for your message. 

I was able to confirm that an agent specializing in the issue you are having has been in touch with further instructions, after investigating the case in question. 

Thank you for your patience and cooperation!

Do let me know if you are not receiving our emails, or if I can help with anything else moving forwards. 

Have a great rest of your week ahead!

Celeste

Collaborator | Level 9

I have had a response from the "Expert" and he has totally missed the point that I want to get rid of Beta and go back to the latest stable version of Dropbox.

I despair.

AND to add insult to to injury I've just had a reminder that my Dropbox is going to go up in price by 25% when I didn't receive notification in the first place.

Dropboxer

Hi @Debby M., thank you for reaching out and am sorry to hear about this. 

I have reached out and pinged the team about this on my end. 

In regards to your subscription fees, we did change our plans' features and pricing earlier this year, at which point you will have received notification via email to the address of your account.

However I have reached out to you directly as well, to the email address associated with your Community profile, so that I can review more account specifics as I am not able to do so via our social media channels. 

Send me a quick reply when you can and we'll take it from there together. 

Thank you!

Celeste

Collaborator | Level 9

I too am checking back to make sure of this - your emails go into spam for me, so it may be that the notification did.

I've checked the Billing forum and there are 34 pages of people saying that this 'upgrade' totally not required for them, and that they are looking for alternatives. So I'm not along.  I use 2% of my allotted paid for account - WHY would I want to have 2TB and Paper and Showcase and all this other bloat that I've managed perfectly well without  since I started using Dropbox years ago?

Dropboxer

That could be the case, @Debby M.!

If you add our email address (no-reply@dropbox.com) to your Contacts, our emails should come into your main inbox from now on. 

In regards to the plan changes, we introduced new features to the individual plans and also increased the space (from 1 TB to 2 TB for Plus, and from 2 TB to TB for Professional), as our goal is to offer the best possible packages to our customers based on active demand. 

However, we also hear your feedback and our team will take all of this into consideration moving forwards. 

Thank you for replying to my email - I have just replied to you on my end and we can now continue our interaction through there as we look into account specifics. 

Thanks!

Celeste
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Desperately to get rid of unstable Beta Build 82.3.138 and support are ignoring me
29 Replies
9 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post