Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Does deleting the iOS app unlink the device?

Helpful | Level 5

Does deleting the iOS app from a device unlink that device?

For instance, if someoneone is having a problem with the app and they delete and the reinstall the app in an attempt to solve the problem, will the device be unlinked and the require relinking?

5 Replies

Re: Does deleting the iOS app unlink the device?

Dropboxer
Hey there @Sananda,

If you were to uninstall the Dropbox mobile app on your device, this will indeed unlink the device from your account. When you download the app again you will need to sign back into the account with the login credentials.

Are you perhaps having issues with a mobile device? If so, I’d be more than happy to help troubleshoot so let me know.

Hope this helps clarify the matter - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for that information (I wish support had explained it this clearly).

I wish I had known before deleting that it would it would unlink my device. Because I can’t now relink my device because of the three device limit. 

I didn’t occur to me that deleting the app would unlink my device.  Although I didn’t read this document before deleting the app, it doesn’t say that deleting the app unlinks the device: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/unlink-relink-computer-mobile .

Maybe there’s some Help document that explains that deleting the app unlinks the device, but I haven’t seen it. If there isn’t one, I think there should be one so that those basic users from before March 2019 (who were told they could continue with all their devices) have a warning that they are at risk if they delete and reinstall since this is such a common troubleshooting method. 

Dropboxer
Hey @Sananda, I’m sorry to hear that!

I’ll make sure to pass along your comments to our dev team regarding making that more clear in terms of unlinking devices. Apologies for any confusion that was caused.

Just as a last ditch effort, have you perhaps checked your Security page to see if you still have any old devices connected to your account that you could unlink? 

Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Thank for passing along my feedback to the dev team.

Unfortuately, I am already using Dropbox on two Macs and an iPhone so my fourth device (an iPad) is now unable to relink.

Dropboxer

Not a problem at all, we always appreciate feedback so that we can push for improvements in those areas and make our user’s experience better. If you ever need anything else, you know where to find us.

Have a great weekend ahead- Thanks!

Daphne

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Does deleting the iOS app unlink the device?
5 Replies
4 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post