Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Don't see dropbox in Windows Explorer On Windows S

Explorer | Level 4

I am unable to see dropbox in the file explorer on Windows S.  This is a deal breaker for me as I can see windows one drive.  I have searched and didn't find any usuable solution.  We are only able to install Dropbox on from the microsoft store which seems very limited.

I am trying to add files as an attachment to a email and I am unable to browse to a dropbox folder.

Tags (1)
9 Replies

Re: Don't see dropbox in Windows Explorer On Windows S

Dropboxer

Hey there @Adamj452 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you clarifiy what kind of device you're using the S mode app on and if you're able to install the regular desktop app from the following page?

https://dropbox.com/downloading

As you noticed, the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode does not actively store files and folders on your device. It allows you to access your files and folders that are stored on your Dropbox account when you’re connected to the internet, or if you chose to save them to your device for offline access. It works similarly to the other Dropbox mobile apps (even when you’re using it on a computer). 

Now, when it comes to your concern, if your device is running Windows 10 in S mode and you’d like it to actively store your files and folders on your device, you can use Windows 10 instead by switching off S mode on your device and then downloading the Dropbox app for Windows 10. 

Assuming that your device is meeting the minimum requirements for the desktop app that is: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements 

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I have a Lenovo Yoga c630.  I can install other non window store apps just fine I am just running into issues with dropbox.  When I go to the dropbox download page it does download the file but then when I run to install it fails and said install dropbox from windows store.   Let me know if you have any ideas.  Thanks

Explorer | Level 4

It says my device is not comptable and use dropbox from windows s.  I am running windows 10 home edition.

New member | Level 2

Well, try pressing the windows key for the start menu. Then search for dropbox, it should show where the folder is located. It is usually located on your desktop along with the app, or in documents or any location you have chosen to move it to. Hope it helped! slightly smiling face

New member | Level 2

Just install Dropbox from dropbox.com then you won't have any problems. slightly smiling face

Explorer | Level 4

I have tried installing drom dropbox.com and it says my device is not compatable.  I have installed every other program and this is the only program that is causing issues.  I can install large programs like Adobe Acrobat but a cloud storage service I am unabel to install. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information Adam - it's much appreciated.

If you receive this error when trying to install the Dropbox app, your computer may have an ARM processor.

ARM is a type of processor used in a computer that affects the applications that you can install on your computer. Microsoft released a version of Windows 10 that supports ARM processors, specifically Qualcomm Snapdragon 835.

The Dropbox desktop app isn’t compatible with ARM processors. If your Windows 10 computer uses an ARM processor, you can’t install the Dropbox desktop app.

You can check if a device is running Windows 10 on ARM in the System Information for your computer:

1. Press Windows Button + R at the same time to open the Run command line.
  2. Type msinfo32.exe. 
  3. Press Enter.
  4. Under System Summary, look at the System Type field. If it shows ARM64-based PC, your PC is running on an ARM processor and isn’t compatible with the Dropbox desktop app.

At this point, you do have other options to access Dropbox from Windows 10 on ARM computers: 

I hope this information clarifies matters and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

I will have to use the microsoft one drive as that works with arm processors and doesn't have the limitation of the dropbox with using a arm processor.  All I want to do is add attachments to my emails for my work files which I am unable to do with dropbox unless I want to save the file to my laptop etc.. which defeats the purpose of these services.

Dropboxer

Thank you for the feedback on this @Adamj452 - it's most appreciated.

In the meantime, why don't you use our active integration with Gmail?

You can find out more info here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/third-party/gmail

Have a great week!

Walter

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Don't see dropbox in Windows Explorer On Windows S
9 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post