cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Double Notification Settings - New MacOS Mojave 10.14

Double Notification Settings - New MacOS Mojave 10.14

DB-LifeHack5000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I just setup dropbox on a new mac running the latest MacOS Majave 10.14.

Under the Mac Notification Settings, i see two seperate options to change how i want the dropbox notification settings to appear. 

Please see attached.

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 11.37.00 AM.png

16 Replies 16

cuttlecn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem.

jsdbaAptz83T
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem with a brand new MBP that came with 10.14.1 (Mohave release 1) installed. Both CHROME and DROPBOX have two entries in the notifications setting list in the SYSTEM PREFERENCES app.

I've played with various combinations of settings across the two entries. It seems that the settings are logically OR'd -- turning a parm on in either makes that parm active.

It seems likely that the problem is in the way mac os handles applications rather than something specific about the individual app.

In general, all the OSes have terrible notification management -- its a maze of settings that no one could possibly keep organized. Andoird, iOS, mac OS are all incredibly badly designed in this respect. I'm somewhat surprised that no one has written an app to manage all the notifications at once -- I would pay money for that!

I will cross post this into the Mohave support channel at apple.com. It is likely to be fixed in some future release. It will be interesting when that happens which of these very similar entries disappears.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone, I have an update for you!

This is now considered to be expected behavior in the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application. It allows you to have settings for two different type of notification styles for Dropbox. 

You can allow Alerts, which are persistent notifications for critical updates from the Dropbox desktop app, and Banners, which are quick notifications about updates to Dropbox files etc.

While I can’t speak for Chrome, or any other apps that have two notifications in that tab, I imagine it’ll be for the same purpose, though you can check with them for more info.

Hopefully this should clarify matters for you all! 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Duhkha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Jay, 

This issue remains unsolved as there is no apparent place to determine how notifications are applied, banners vs. alerts. For example, notifications in DB preferences cannot be alocated accordingly based on importance. Basicallly, at this point, it just creates duplicate notifcations--same content just different delivery. Until this is resolved, do you advise simply turning one off? Also, other apps that have two, Textexpander for example, name each one differently. DB's current implementation is simply to change alert vs. banner preset, but there is no difference in actual functionality.

Please advise. Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
There should be a difference between the two notifications. I’ll forward this feedback to our dev team for their awareness of this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Michael N.28
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Did we ever get a definitive reply?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No update as yet, however the team have been advised about the notification preferences.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?