cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Download Dropbox on MacBook using a different email

Explorer | Level 3

I Downloaded Dropbox on MacBook using a different email and now I do not see my old Dropbox icon on Finder, or my old files?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Download Dropbox on MacBook using a different email

Super User

Hello @JR57, (1) Click the Dropbox icon on the menubar > (2) Click the Account/Profile dropdown menu and (3) check the email address. If it is not the correct address then (4) choose the Preferences... and go to Account tab. There you can Unlink This Dropbox... and then Dropbox will prompt you to login again. Then you can loging using the desired email/dropbox account. 

2020-01-01 at 1.12 PM .png

Explorer | Level 3

Very helpful thank you.

Now I need to learn how to transfer all my files and folders from my old email Dropbox to the new one? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Super User

One option is manually downloding files and folders from one account and upload to the new account. But if you have lot of data, then it is certainly not the way.

In that case, another option could be (1) login to https://www.dropbox.com/home using your old email, and (2) share the folders with your new account/email. 

2020-01-02 at 10.42 PM .png

If you intend to keep your old account, (3) you can just share using email. 

2020-01-02 at 10.44 PM .png

If you do not wish to keep your old account, you can go make the account with new account as owner. 

2020-01-02 at 10.50 PM .png

Later login using your new account > accept the share > go to folder > again click share button > click the cogwheel/settings button (7) and Unshare folder

2020-01-02 at 10.56 PM .png

Optionally, you could create sharing links (4) of files and folders from our old account. Copy the links, log out from old account. Login using new email > visit those shared links. Now, on the right upper corner of your browser window you see a Download button, click the drop-down menu and you will find option to Save to my Dropbox.

2020-01-02 at 11.01 PM .png

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Download Dropbox on MacBook using a different email
3 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey