cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Dropbox to my older mac

Downloading Dropbox to my older mac

ermb
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Dont give a **bleep** leave me alone
13 Replies 13

ggrember
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"whatever antique OS you're running" in that case we're talking about mac ox 10.9 ( latest upgrade in september 2014 ) - an antique ? It would be easy to Dropbox to maintain the 10.9 version "as is" without the new features in 10.10.

alambique46
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On one of my computers I use Mac OSX 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard which has the features I most like.

"Out of date" it is, but when most people say that the newer systems "have more features" or are "more advanced," what is REALLY happening in the computer world is that they allow more advertising and income .... make all files huge, and slow everything down! 
Sure there are security issues, but advanced secuurity could be added to the older systems with much less hassle thatlthat needed for the advertising cookies etc. that go into your computer -- unnecessary without all those clients wanting access.

klei
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I fully understand the concept of supported features relying on a specific version of an OS. But... dropbox is a cloudservice which has supported clients for in the meantime deprecated OSX versions in the past. So what I don't completely understand is why a deprecated but still working version can't have basic functionality supported as it has in the past, even if there's been a complete server-side rewrite: there has been a working implementation in the past, so it shouldn't be that hard to keep them side by side, providing basic access to storage space in the cloud as a very basic feature. I guess it's fully understandable that not all (latest greatest) features can be supported, but to completely cut off working version from one day to the other seems a bit harsh,, so maybe side by side existence of deprecated old-style support and latest greatest client would have been possible. There are some reasons that could raise concerns, one of which of course would be vulnerability and security issues.. but wouldn't those be issues on OS level? Anyway: basic support for outdated systems would have been very welcomed.

wescpy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Agreed. I don't even care about the "app" nor the UI (user interface). I just want my files to be backed up "automagically." I'm running `dropboxd` on a Linux system (dropbox.com/install-linux), and just having that up-n-running to support the service is all I really want for my Snow Leopard PPC MBP. 😛

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wescpy Helpful | Level 5
    klei New member | Level 2
    alambique46 New member | Level 2
    ggrember New member | Level 2
    christheITguy Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?