Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Drop box not working after renaming home folder

Super User II

I realize you didn't rename your home folder (though you did move it, which is somewhat the same) but it might be worth running through the steps listed here.

New member | Level 1

Rick R. I've deleted that files but it doesn't help. 

New member | Level 1

Chris J, thanks so much for your help on this issue! You are the man...this totally helped me:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:
/Library
Delete the DropboxHelperTools folder by moving it to the Trash.
(Optional) Removing your Dropbox application settings:

Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:
~/.dropbox
Remove your Dropbox application system settings by selecting all files in the folder and dragging and dropping them into the trash.

New member | Level 1

Thanks Chris J

This worked a treat. You da fashiznet.... thankyou!

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

New member | Level 2

Chris, you're amazing!!!!  This worked for me too.  Thank you.

New member | Level 2

Hi! I'm having the same exact issue as you Tos M. Have you found a solution ?

New member | Level 2

Recently I too faced the same issue. I had to change my User Account name and Home name in mac. After getting that right, I was not able to open dropbox from applications. Everytime I try to open the app, it gave me two consecutive errors:

First one asking me to enter user password to change the permission for the folder: /Users/mac

After entering the password, the second error message: Couldn't start dropbox.... Permission Error.... etc

After hours of digging into internet, I found a easy fix for this, hope this will help who are facing this same issue.

SOLUTION:

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):

• Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

2. Download the newest version: www.dropbox.com/install

3. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

4. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, and press ENTER. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER.

(I would recommend to use Terminal program carefully, specially with "sudo" , as it's the superuser command and any mistakes will lead to messing up more. So its adviced to copy and paste the below commands instead of typing them by hand.)

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo mv ~/.dropbox-master ~/.Trash/dropbox-master.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

5. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

6. Restart Dropbox from the Applications folder.

After following the above mentioned steps, I was able to login into my dropbox account from applications, and the dropbox folder was also retained in the sidebar with all the files in its original state.

Try if it works for you too.

Cheers face with stuck-out tongue and winking eye

New member | Level 2

Recently I too faced the same issue. I had to change my User Account name and Home name in mac. After getting that right, I was not able to open dropbox from applications. Everytime I try to open the app, it gave me two consecutive errors:

First one asking me to enter user password to change the permission for the folder: /Users/mac

After entering the password, the second error message: Couldn't start dropbox.... Permission Error.... etc

After hours of digging into internet, I found a easy fix for this, hope this will help who are facing this same issue.

SOLUTION:

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):

• Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

2. Download the newest version: www.dropbox.com/install

3. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

4. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, and press ENTER. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER.

(I would recommend to use Terminal program carefully, specially with "sudo" , as it's the superuser command and any mistakes will lead to messing up more. So its adviced to copy and paste the below commands instead of typing them by hand.)

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo mv ~/.dropbox-master ~/.Trash/dropbox-master.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

5. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

6. Restart Dropbox from the Applications folder.

After following the above mentioned steps, I was able to login into my dropbox account from applications, and the dropbox folder was also retained in the sidebar with all the files in its original state.

Try if it works for you too.

Cheersface with stuck-out tongue and winking eye

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I encountered this as well, and I resolved this by simple steps:

> create an empty folder with name I removed, which is '/Users/xxx'. I use terminal 'sudo mkdir /Users/xxx'

> create an empty folder for dropbox under it, 'sudo mkdir /Users/xxx/.dropbox'

> then you can start your dropbox normally, and setup everything like new. 

> just remember to use 'Advance Settings' after you logged in an account, switch sync location from the folder you removed to your new folder.

> and then you can just remove that temporary folder by 'sudo rm -r /Users/xxx'

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

If things still don't work after unlinking your accounts just delete all the dropbox preferences on your mac.

rm -rf ~/.dropbox.*

This assumes that your Dropbox folder is located in the default location (the top of your user's home directory)

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Drop box not working after renaming home folder
39 Replies
24 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey