Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

DropBox permissions issue?

Helpful | Level 6

I’m trying to solve an issue that causes an app to freeze when I’ve enabled DropBox.app to control my Apple computer.  I’d appreciate any suggestions for addressing this condition.

The app in question is ThinkorSwim, which is software from TD Ameritrade.  It ran fine on my two Apple iMacs when they were running Apple’s Sierra OS with Dropbox access enabled in System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy-Allow the apps below to control your computer.

When I upgraded both iMacs last week to Apple Mojave, ThinkorSwim would freeze under normal use and Apple’s spinning beach balls would appear.  I contacted TD Ameritrade twice about the issue and each rep suggested I had a DropBox permissions issue.

As a test yesterday, I turned off Apple's Privacy access for DropBox.app in System Preferences and ThinkorSwim has run perfectly for over 8 hours.    It appears to support what the TD reps told me.  Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks.

3 Replies

Re: DropBox permissions issue?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Brian G.43 - sorry to hear about this.

At first, could you provide some additional information about your current setup on the affected computer such as the exact OS version, the version of our desktop app and also the version of the third party app having the problm etc? 

In addition, do you notice this only on one device specifically? Are you getting any errors or any visual that could help us investigate? If so, please send screenshots as they always help us get the whole picture of what's going on.

Moreover, as sometimes the solution is pretty simple as merely re-installing the software on your computer, I'll have to ask; have you tried re-installing both our desktop app and ThinkorSwim's one?

Last but not least, could you elaborate on the permission issue for me please? Do you get any specific errors that insinuate this? 

Thanks in advance for your response!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Hey Walter,

Thanks for responding.

My setup includes two recent iMacs running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.  I see the same spinning beach balls on both machines.

DropBox is version V78.4.119

TD Ameritrade’s ThinkorSwim version is “Build 1954”

I’m not getting any specific error messages from Apple’s Mojave or ThinkorSwim.  Just Apple’s spinning beach balls.

I uninstalled and re-installed ThinkorSwim to no avail.  The reps from TD Ameritrade used the term “permissions issue” and said it was something they had run into before. I've uploaded the Systems Preferences screenshot showing the setting I temporarily turned off to further test the issue.

I really like the idea of re-installing DropBox.  I’ll try that next. 

Plus I’ll be opening a ticket with Apple as well.  I appreciate your help.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 10.30.47 AM.jpg

Dropboxer

Thanks for your prompt response Brian and please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

DropBox permissions issue?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post