cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Business: Can't see team folders from applications with Dropbox access

Dropbox Business: Can't see team folders from applications with Dropbox access

oliverwisholm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox Forum,

I'm a Dropbox Business user. Everytime I use any program with access to dropbox, I can only see the personal folder (the purple one). I need access to the team folders (the blue ones) so I can get files that's shared within our whole team. Some of the programs are Backpack Studio, Synology, Akeeba backup and, from one of the big developers, Premiere Rush by Adobe. Can anyone help me with this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

oliverwisholm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi guys,

I'm sorry that I need to respond in a new thread, but somebody named Fiona decided it was a good idea to close the other one, even though the problem still occurs. Here's a link to the old thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Teams-admins/Dropbox-Business-Can-t-see-team-folders-from-applicatio...

With that being said, I know that I've waited a long time to make a response ... I just wanted to have it resolved with Adobe Premiere Rush (which it still isn't, although I'm working on it), before posting again. Adobe said that it probably will be resolved in the next update of Rush.

Here is what you need to inform the developers of the 3rd party software, where you're experiencing this problem. With this information they'll know what the problem is about and how to resolve it:

Hi xxx developer,

We are a company using the Dropbox Business solution. The last couple of months we have been in contact with the Dropbox developer team, because we experience an issue connecting to the "team folders" (blue) in the business solution. The problem is, that when trying to navigate to the dropbox root with all our folders, it goes directly into the "member folder" (purple).

After a long time corresponding back and forth with the Dropbox developers, they have admitted that they a able to reproduce the issue.

Dropbox said: "With the introduction of team member folders the effective directory root defaults to the members team folder and all relative paths now reference this root. To overcome this the developer needs to specify the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header and reference the namespace of the teams root. This then sets the effective path to be the expected teams 'root' folder."

Later on they gave us this IMPORTANT information: "All 3rd party developers need to implement the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header flag to allow access to the teams root folder. Without this flag the API will default to the members home folder and users cannot navigate up to the root namespace. The following guide shows the required header and its implementation - https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/namespace-guide "

We hope to hear from you soon, since this is a major problem for us and everyone else using your product with Dropbox Business.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @oliverwisholm - welcome to our Community!

As this would require account specific information to drill into, would it be OK if I reached out via the email address that's connected to your Community's profile so we can have a further look internally?

Let me know here and we'll take it from there Oliver! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

oliverwisholm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Yes, that would be great.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift response Oliver. 

I just followed up internally so we can look further into this. Take a look at your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Talk soon via email :envelope:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

JanCP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey there,

i have the same problem. with all programs like synology nas, transmit etc. i have only access to my private folder. - not to the team shared folder.

ist there any solution to connect to the team shared folders?

thanks,

best regards,

Jan

oliverwisholm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Jan,

We're currently in a mail correspondence with some of the Dropbox developers. After a few mails back and forth, they "kind of" admitted it is a problem in their end ... Now, it seems like we gave them a challenge. I 100% promise to post a follow up with the end result, in this public thread - no matter if they fix it or not. Please list the applications where you experience the problem. That might make this a bigger priority to get solved.

Best regards,
Oliver Birk Wisholm

JanCP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Oliver,

thanks for the quick response. 

for me the most importans applications are:

- cloud sync (synology) 

- transmit (panic)

- cloud drive sync (qnap)

best regards,

Jan

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JanCP. Thanks for sharing your experience in this thread. 

I would like to escalate your case as well if this is OK with you. 

I have already emailed you, please respond to my email with screenshots showing how things look for these third party app interfaces at the time, when you are trying to perform actions you performed successfully before. 

Thank you. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Squashskills
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue for me using Premiere Rush (Dropbox Business user)......

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report @Squashskills!

I've just sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community's profile so we can have a further look into this.

Whenever you find some spare time, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Talk via email soon :envelope:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

graphic_lad Helpful | Level 5
    Rui A. Helpful | Level 5
    seenajon New member | Level 2
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    oliverwisholm Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?