cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox Can't Sync Python Executables

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox has been working well for me for the better part of a year now, but in the past week or so it has started locking up when working with auto-generated Python executable files (*.pyc). After I run a Python script, it automatically generates a compiled version of the routine in a subfolder, and all Dropbox has to say about it is, "Can't sync yaddayadda.pyc." I'd like to take this moment to strongly recommend more verbose error/logging messages in general. Same thing happens on both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 18.3.

12 Replies

Re: Dropbox Can't Sync Python Executables

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @FlexicoFlexico,
☺"pyc" extension is for PYthon Compiled files, not executable. 😉 They're not something mandatory and very version specific, so better don't sync the subdirectory, you mentioned.
Hope this helps.

Explorer | Level 4

No, this does not help at all, because these files used to sync just fine, and are labelled according to their version number and therefore won't conflict, and in other folders I've had the same type of files continue to sync just fine; it's just in the one folder.

In such a case, check for possible permission issue or just delete the subdirectory with compiled bytecodes, they will be regenerated on first script run. 😉

Explorer | Level 4

Already did both of those several times.

@Flexico wrote:

Already did both of those several times.

Hi @Flexico,

As you had deleted bytecode's directory, do the sync process completes successfully before it gets regenerated? thinking face Check, if you aren't sure.

Dropboxer
Hey @Flexico, thanks for posting us on the Community on this matter! 

Just to get started, could you include a screenshot (without personal info) in your next message for us showing us the message you’re seeing?

In what context are you using the .pyc file you’ve stored in Dropbox as you’re running the script? It sounds that the the file’s locked as another app is trying to access it & that's triggering the error message. 

As you’ve mentioned that this used to work & it’s just this one directory causing your trouble, I’d like to see if the root cause lies in Dropbox or otherwise. 

Please let me know of your findings & we’ll go from there. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

@Jane wrote:
In what context are you using the .pyc file you’ve stored in Dropbox as you’re running the script? It sounds that the the file’s is being locked as another app is trying to access it that's triggering the error message. 

Hi @Jane,

Actually, would be really strange (softly said) if locking is a reason. Compiled form is produced once only and gets updated only when script gets changed, so locking can't affect (or at least don't have to). Even more, the compiled form is optional and if there is some problem, Python interpreter keep "on fly" generated variant in RAM. winking face

Hope this casts some light.

Helpful | Level 5

I started having this same issue.  *.pyc files and __pycache__ folders are stopping everything from syncing.   Is there any update on this?  I have looked for a way to ignore all *.pyc files but have not found a way to do this with dropbox.  

Explorer | Level 4

I just manually upload the __pycache__ folder to the Dropbox website every so often. Not a permanent solution, but at least it gets rid of the little "working" icon on the taskbar. XD

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Can't Sync Python Executables
12 Replies
3 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post