cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Andrew D.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For the past few months I've been having issues with image previews not loading on my Mac in Quick Look, Finder previews or icon thumbnails. I have experienced the problem on both Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave. My colleagues also seem to be experiencing the same issue.

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 14.08.04.pngI finally took the time this week to figure out what is causing the issue. As far as I can tell the problem is caused by Dropbox Finder integration. As soon as I turned off Dropbox finder integration (and restart the machine) file previews and Quick Look work perfectly.

For now I'm keeping Dropbox Finder integration turned off - I'm a designer and image previews are incredibly useful.  I'd prefer to be able to enable Dropbox Finder integration as the sync status icons are useful. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

48 Replies 48

creativum
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here - we have a business account and problem with finder previews at all kind of files. is a big problem for us a a design agengy cause it make processes last a lot longer. is there a solution?

tomrantala
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here!

I disabled Finder integration, restarted computer and it works now. Enabled Finder integration again and it seems to work, for now.

zui
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

(deleted, issue was different)

spencerjacobs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem. Business Account. It's a real pain in the ass to have to relauch finder all of the time and then try to sync files locally just to preview a simple .jpg!

Please fix Dropbox!

Ozbay
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have this problem as well. As a design agency, this is extremely annoying, since we depend on image previews a lot. And we can't seem to figure out how to fix the problem. Turning Dropbox finder integration off/ on does not always work. This problem occurred after the Mojave update. Any information about how to solve this problem is highly appreciated. 

jwvink
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem. Business Account. So annoying! 

IgorA
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm just testing Dropbox for business and ran into the same issue. Highly annoying because it affects the whole computer, not only Dropbox files.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all, just a brief update here.

We’ve received some reports from users that updating to the latest Mojave update, which can be found here, appears to have resolved this.

If any of you get the chance to do so, please let me know if this helps or not!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jwvink
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Nope, the Mojave update doesn't fix it . Still annoying thumbnails. So frustrating... I had this problem also with High Sierra.

irishetcher
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the the same thing but it is just JPEGs. 

Both quick look and the right preview pane in the Finder just show the spinning loader. 

I have seen suggestions on how to fix this including removing the DropboxQL.qlgenerator file from ~/Library/QuickLook. Neither of those locations exist on my install and I checked on an installation with HIgh SIerra. Not there either. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andrebetz New member | Level 2
    evatar New member | Level 2
    nick314 New member | Level 2
    WesHoover New member | Level 2
    goddardrj New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?